Support Forums

Full Version: Recent events at work have really affected me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I guess a lot of people say something similar but I don't usually unload like this, I just think I need to talk.

So, I am in the military, full-time guard which is more like your typical office envoronment than what most people think when you say 'military'.

I had a friend here who worked with us as a civilian as well as a traditional guardsman (1 weekend a month). For about a year this friend told me that if an E-7 slot opened up and I got it he might be interested in my E-6 slot as a full-timer. Keep in mind that this friend only has about 1.5 years of full-time service behind him, I have about 9 years. So, when the E-7 slot opened up we both applied which is typical. One of the officers here told me that when they asked my friend if he was interested in an E-6 slot he told them 'No'. Well, he was selected. I was told that they already had me, they wanted him, so here we are. Now I am the only E-6 here and I feel like a chump.

Basically this is a very political position and I am more of a technical, 'get the job done' kind of person. I can't tell you how much this has affected me. I think I have had some acceptance issues my entire life. Actually, not getting this slot has made me realize this fact.

I have an appointment to meet with a counselor this Wednesday (if you knew me, you would not believe I just said that).

If anyone has ever been in the same boat I could really use some advice. How do you cope? I am feeling like life is too long. Have you ever heard the saying "I feel like the world is a tuxedo and I am a pair of brown shoes"?