Support Forums

Full Version: A simple question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I heard about DNS propagation.

How long it take for a newly bought website to propagate through the world wide web?

And

If I made a small change on the website, will I have to wait for the change, or should it come immediately?

Thanks.
This explain that better then I can:
http://webhosting.devshed.com/c/a/Web-Ho...e-so-long/

Quote:it can take anywhere from 36 to 72 hours for DNS changes to be totally in effect.
A change you make to website files will be instant because you'd upload the edited file via FTP and the browser would run the new code straight away. In the UK all the DNS stuff is often sorted out within an hour of buying the domain and changing the name servers.
Usually takes between 2 minutes and 2 hours for a DNS to propagate (for my ISP)... However, it once took my dad's companies website 2 days to propagate. I'm not sure if the host was telling me crap though, I doubt the website was actually up.
It really depends on the ISP's and the hosts DNS servers. My ISP refreshes everything every 2 minutes, and the host I have is almost automatic, so it takes me about 2 minutes to view my website. The most it should take is 72 hours, but, I have yet to ever have a site not propagate within 20 minutes or so.
It's already been a day, and I still can't see the things I uploaded.

Meowdesu.net
(11-10-2009, 02:26 PM)HaruhiSuzumiya Wrote: [ -> ]It's already been a day, and I still can't see the things I uploaded.

Meowdesu.net

Just wait it can take up to 72 hours, first time...
If you can't see the files after 72 hours you should contact your host.
Don't think it's a DNS problem as the site is loading, make sure you're uploading stuff to the correct folder and there aren't any files there that you didn't put there, i.e. files that were there from the start.
The folder usually has something to do with "Public" in the name. Mine was "PUBLIC_HTML".
(The folder you need to upload files too)