Support Forums

Full Version: [TUT] Install Xp From DOS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If XP will not install from the CD or if you have a new drive with no operating system on it yet try these:

Install Windows XP from the hard drive with Windows 98 already installed:

1. Boot Windows 98
2. Insert the XP CD into your CD reader
3. Explore Windows XP through My Computer
4. Copy i386 folder to C:\
5. Go into C:\i386 folder and double click on winnt32.exe to launch the setup from the hard drive

Install Windows XP from DOS (ie. no OS on a new hard drive):

1. Boot with a Windows 98 Start Up disk
2. Insert the Windows 98 CD into the CD reader
3. Run smartdrv.exe from the Win98 directory on the windows 98 CD (file caching)
4. Type cd.. to back up to the root directory
5. Insert Windows XP CD into the CD reader
6. Copy the i386 folder to C:\
7. Go into C:\i386 folder on C: and type winnt.exe to launch the setup from the hard drive.

This tutorial has been written by zone for www.supportforums.net . You are free to share this, but please give credit to the original author i.e. zone for writing this. This will be highly appreciated.

Thankyou very much and be happy always. Smile
Great tutorial! Will this work with Windows 7 or Vista?
Windows 7 will also install in the same way, but for Vista... umm I hope so..
Good tutorial, zone. Keep up the good work. Smile
No problem

EDIT: If you have any thing to add to the OP. please share to us.
Not sure when this will come in handy, but uh, good tutorial.
Hay Can I Ask you :? I have a Remote Access On My Friend Pc And He Alredy Running Window Xp On System can me Reinstall Window Xp To Use This Trick ...
(11-13-2009, 04:24 AM)stylo_asif Wrote: [ -> ]Hay Can I Ask you :? I have a Remote Access On My Friend Pc And He Alredy Running Window Xp On System can me Reinstall Window Xp To Use This Trick ...

If you mean to install a fresh copy of XP on your friends computer, it is looking possible: Please check it here: http://aussiecomputerguy.blogspot.com/20...ation.html (This is simply a googling result. If you are unsure , you can use google for search this tip)
Is it possible to do this remotely from windows 98? Using some form of desktop support?
I think remote access is only available in XP. Window98 has no such option.
Pages: 1 2