Support Forums

Full Version: Home Network Share issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After a recent bout with the ZeroAcccess rootkit none of the other computers or devices in my house can see or connect to my network shares.

[Image: ss20120522155526.jpg]

• No firewalls, anti-viruses, or anti- adware/spyware running (yes I checked the process list).
• My internet works fine and I can connect to everyone else’s shares.
• My IP on the network is static and has not changed.
• Windows Firewall, Security Center, and all other native protective measure shave been turned off.

(I have restarted my computer after every one of these steps.)

• I have tried leaving and rejoining the workgroup
• Deleted and re-added my shares
• Deleted and re-added the permissions on my shares
• Have checked various registry entries (I really think it must be the issue)
I cant say exactly what the problem is unfortunately but can i recommend a few things?
Firstly you dont need to have internet access to access your local network. Thats important.
Second you must have a firewall and antivirus when your online mate.

But before that IMO turn off your net. Get your PC clean first. Well before you worry about your shares.
Honestly if you have been compromised then you need to fix that before you consider getting your home network back up.
But please mate get some AV and a firewall.
This is probably the problem all along. You got infected due to lack of security and now your pc is compromised.
Me personally i would reinstall my OS if that happened to me.
(05-22-2012, 03:57 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]I cant say exactly what the problem is unfortunately but can i recommend a few things?
Firstly you dont need to have internet access to access your local network. Thats important.
Second you must have a firewall and antivirus when your online mate.

But before that IMO turn off your net. Get your PC clean first. Well before you worry about your shares.
Honestly if you have been compromised then you need to fix that before you consider getting your home network back up.
But please mate get some AV and a firewall.
This is probably the problem all along. You got infected due to lack of security and now your pc is compromised.
Me personally i would reinstall my OS if that happened to me.

... I think you have misread... everything.

Firstly, I know that I do not need access to the internet to access my internal network, I mentioned it as a confirmation of certain level of connectivity.

Secondly, it is not an issue with my connecting to others but of others connecting to me.

Third, the ZeroAcccess rootkit evades most virus scanners and I would have gotten infected either way even if I had some clunky, shitty, pricey scanner like McAfee or Norton. Not to mention the fact that I told you nothing about how I got infected. Not that it matters in the least or has anything to do with resolving my current issue but you have no idea what protections I was running when it happened.

Now, my issue is not due to a current infection, I said "after" with purpose. Since getting infected I have run SuperAntiSpyware, HijackThis, Spybot Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, CCleaner, the Kaspersky Rescue Disk, ComboFix, TDSSKiller (specific to my rootkit), GMER, rkill, and UnhackMe. If you really think I am still infected or that you could do better then I am all ears (and open to let you come and have a peek). Otherwise let us speak about my current issue without criticizing my internet habits and mostly resolved past infections.

I do understand you believe you are trying to help but telling me that you think it is my fault and that you reinstall your OS at any sign of trouble does zero to even consider my issue or aid me in any way.
Im just trying to offer you advice.
I dont appreciate your attitude nor your language.
Dont expect any further help from me.
(05-22-2012, 04:15 PM)malichi Wrote: [ -> ]... I think you have misread... everything.

Firstly, I know that I do not need access to the internet to access my internal network, I mentioned it as a confirmation of certain level of connectivity.

Secondly, it is not an issue with my connecting to others but of others connecting to me.

Third, the ZeroAcccess rootkit evades most virus scanners and I would have gotten infected either way even if I had some clunky, shitty, pricey scanner like McAfee or Norton. Not to mention the fact that I told you nothing about how I got infected. Not that it matters in the least or has anything to do with resolving my current issue but you have no idea what protections I was running when it happened.

Now, my issue is not due to a current infection, I said "after" with purpose. Since getting infected I have run SuperAntiSpyware, HijackThis, Spybot Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, CCleaner, the Kaspersky Rescue Disk, ComboFix, TDSSKiller (specific to my rootkit), GMER, rkill, and UnhackMe. If you really think I am still infected or that you could do better then I am all ears (and open to let you come and have a peek). Otherwise let us speak about my current issue without criticizing my internet habits and mostly resolved past infections.

I do understand you believe you are trying to help but telling me that you think it is my fault and that you reinstall your OS at any sign of trouble does zero to even consider my issue or aid me in any way.
If you want help, don't be an ass-hole. Damink was offering his help and you spat in his face. Now to say you haven't ran an Anti-Virus OR a firewall is beyond stupid. Think before you speak.
(05-22-2012, 04:26 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]Im just trying to offer you advice.
I dont appreciate your attitude nor your language.
Dont expect any further help from me.

You're providing a wonderful and refreshing welcome to these forums; you truly represent your administration maturely.

Now, since you have yet more criticisms, would you care to tell me specifically what language was an inappropriate response to your post? You told me "Look, I can't help you and I don't know what is wrong, but it was your own fault and you should not be worried about this issue". I would be sorry for being less than thankful for that wisdom but it was unhelpful and rude.

Worse, I try to be more succinct and tell what I did not appreciate and you reply with "harumph, now I'm not gonna help". I get it if you are upset by a little criticism... but you were just criticizing...

(05-22-2012, 04:32 PM)Aиγέλ Oφ Kαος Wrote: [ -> ]If you want help, don't be an ass-hole. Damink was offering his help and you spat in his face. Now to say you haven't ran an Anti-Virus OR a firewall is beyond stupid. Think before you speak.

What a wonderful support forum this place is... calling people "stupid" and "butthead" (while circumventing the rule against typing that word apparently) for crap that is not even true.

He was telling me that I was wrong and at fault for unrelated crap. I was just correcting him.
Im not upset in the slightest actually.
Your OP was vague to say the least.
You state • No firewalls, anti-viruses, or anti- adware/spyware running (yes I checked the process list).
Well do a poll mate. Most people would assume based on that your a novice and more than likely this is the cause of the infection.
I will say it again. Your OP was vague to say the least. Leaving us to assume.
You did not state how or why you were infected leaving us to assume again you know very little as most that come here and ask advice give us enough info to accurately determine what had happened.
Your post was a....
Im infected help thread. We get hundreds of them here.
Good luck with your computer. I hope you get it sorted out.
(05-22-2012, 04:46 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]Im not upset in the slightest actually.
Your OP was vague to say the least.
You state • No firewalls, anti-viruses, or anti- adware/spyware running (yes I checked the process list).
Well do a poll mate. Most people would assume based on that your a novice and more than likely this is the cause of the infection.
I will say it again. Your OP was vague to say the least. Leaving us to assume.
You did not state how or why you were infected leaving us to assume again you know very little as most that come here and ask advice give us enough info to accurately determine what had happened.
Your post was a....
Im infected help thread. We get hundreds of them here.
Good luck with your computer. I hope you get it sorted out.

Sorry you felt that way, if this were a "Im infected help" thread then I can imagine why you thought I was being vague. This is not the case. This is a thread about a network share issue and I thought I would mention the recent rootkit I got over because it is a well known one and perhaps it might have helped someone remember what some of the permissions it might have changed.

The reason I turned off every protection available was to rule out software as the culprit (in my network share issue). I do not live my life with zero protection of any kind, but turning off programs that block other programs is a step in determining... what is blocking incoming connections, is it not?
A number of factors have contributed to the emergence of the real estate sector of Kerala. There is a growth in demand for real estate. As people move away in search of better jobs and opportunities, they seek better housing options like Flats & Apartments, villas and penthouses. Buying a property in Kerala has become highly beneficial over the years. Investors from across the world have understood this. It is evident in the increase in the number of housing options and commercial property options that are available here today. Now a days kerala real estate introducing new plan and idea for developing the commercial and economic sector. The main aim, buyer and seller satisfaction.  I'm also working in the field for a 2 years, i got so many good and best idea Kerala real estate so really thank full to this field. Buyer and seller also got so many good experiences in this field. You can buy home or land in right price. Real estate agent are suggest you how to buy good home or flat. New real estate asset in kerala are introducing novelty in the green country with its standards and quality providing residents premium homes and commercial assets. Residents from every part of kerala are becoming aware of the new deluxe homes and the premium asset located in the evergreen country. These assets located in the developed urban sites are becoming the top preference of the residents in kerala.