Support Forums

Full Version: Hardcore Problem: Computer Won't Boot.. (Please Read)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone. I haven't been on the forums for a really long time and I have come back because my computer is simply being a B****. It was running very smoothly, than about a week ago, it had said my battery life was at a constant 3%, and it was charging for nearly an hour. Now when I attempt to turn it on, its a complete failure. I had replaced the battery with a new one and shipped it in today and let it charge for some time, still no luck. I have this computer for two years and its been great, I don't know what happened nor have I checked it by professionals. NOTHING HAPPENED TO THE LAPTOP FOR THE PAST YEAR OR LONGER AS IN PHYSICAL DAMAGE (i.e. water, dropping and falling on the floor) the only time it has been physically damaged was when I dropped it on the floor maybe about one time while it was in a cushioned case. If I don't get enough help on this, i'll probably drop it in to the Geek Squad and see what they say about the problem.

Code:
SPECS:
HP Pavilion dv7 Laptop

WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-Bit Architect

4GB RAM

Quad Core Processor

However, it has a full Hard Drive of 350GB or maybe more.

I do not know what the problem may be, but this is what happens every time the laptop turns on. Heres a simple video demonstration I took guys:
Enjoy. The caps lock constantly blinks along with the one on the number pad. Wth is this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Wacko Wacko Wacko

I have a disc in there, A system repair disc I tried to boot with but still nothing (Windows SysRepair Disc).

I called HP they told me to spend $139 for a service fee when a "Certified Technician" comes over to my house and fixes the problem... Yeah not doing that till I see what you guys say. I am really good about computers when it comes to software but hardware is another mess.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j34hWvui4d0[/youtube]

PLEASE GET BACK TO ME ON THIS!
I would recommend you to get it checked by a professional. You don't have to pay the $150 for HP but a local shop will do the same good. Do you think it could be the faulty battery?
(04-09-2012, 07:10 PM)Hydrogen Wrote: [ -> ]Do you think it could be the faulty battery?

As I stated previously, I do not think it would have been the battery problem because I got a new one which just shipped in today, charged it for an hour, and still no good. You saw the video? Same results Huh Pinch
Can you boot it into the BIOS, or it wont even turn on?
Power Supply,Hard-Drive or RAM Failure, looks like the power supply is failing.
Power supply? Do you think I should replace that or get a new laptop... its 4 years old
(04-14-2012, 12:19 PM)Resistance Wrote: [ -> ]Power supply? Do you think I should replace that or get a new laptop... its 4 years old

I would go with a new laptop, if you have the money. You didn't show the screen at all until the very end. Does anything show up on screen? If not you could have a dead screen. If you can get into BIOS its probably a hard drive failure.
It doesn't look like the power supply to me.
If it's $150 + parts to repair it, you're better off getting a new laptop.
Okay... What's on the screen and what sounds it makes are a lot better pieces of information than what is happening with the lights on your keyboard. But from the video (from the 2 seconds you had it on screen) I didn't see any display, what about your video card? If you let it sit on, do you hear the boot sounds? Otherwise this may be a faulty power supply as I don't see anything on screen, it's not even getting to the POST mem tests as far as I can see, assuming your display is fine.
OK, so whats happening is there is absolutely no display, the computer makes boot sounds but the same boot sounds constantly repeat. Thats the problem, and I think I might invest $100 to get the data back out of my hard drive unless anybody can give me a simple fix on how to get the data from my hard drive on to my external hard drive without paying 100$. I have another tower computer at home brand new that I can utilize for that data restoring process along with a beautiful 1TB external hard drive. Any help on that would be great, and yes I do have enough money for getting a new laptop soon enough. Thanks for the help so far.

Basically,
  • Laptop screen fails to function
  • Laptop makes reptitive boot noises, inculding a empty disk drive "trying to open + run a disk as if I put one in there"
  • Keyboard lights are flashing
  • I have money for a new laptop, however... I want my data out of my dead laptop, preferably without paying 100$, alternative solutions are always accepted Big Grin
  • Thank you for the support
  • Its looking like I might have to give away my laptop AFTER data backup if any possible because I want to make some money out of the useless hardware and some people I know might buy it off me.
Quote:how to get the data from my hard drive on to my external hard drive without paying 100$

Yes, boot up a livecd boot of Linux Mint or Ubuntu (my recomendation for minute distro's). Nice and compact for carry around's, but you should be able to view the data in a RAW format on your formatted volume's if they are seen and can be read from. From here you can move, rename, delete, modify however you want.
Pages: 1 2