Support Forums

Full Version: What is better for a discussion website??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
would a WordPress or a forum be better for a discussion website?

Or can you think of something else that would work ?

I just want it to be different to a forum really because there are thousands of discussion forms on the web.

Thanks alot in advance guys Big Grin

Means alot Big Grin
I think using a forum for discussions would be more appropriate-
Wordpress is more of a blog, so how can people discuss?
well people can comment on the blogs cant they?

I just dont really want to go with a forum because it is used to much on the web. so i was wondering if anyone else had any other ideas, or if there is a different website discussion software?
Blogs are messy IMO when it comes to discussion.
Forums offer a better control over that.
However blogs do very well in the searches.

As for your comment "I just dont really want to go with a forum because it is used to much on the web"
Not sure on the actual stats but i would imagine there are more blogs out there than there is forums actually.
None the less yea i agree there are way to many forums out there these days.
i just wat somthing unique but i know that it will take me years to code somthing like this !

So i might just have to go with a forum for now and maybe in the future when i know php, code something new ?
To code something from scratch wont be easy though mate.
Even if you were highly skilled in php i suspect it would be very difficult.
Having to keep up with security and vulnerablities. Hell even knowing how to patch them would be a nightmare.
I would just start up a forum or blog. Either one really will do the job.
Forum sucks a little more as you have to get your content and member base up before visitors will take it to seroiusly.
Blogs on the other hand are just that. Blogs. Easy to read and great for seo.
But a prick to have active discussions on unlike forums. So its a mixed bag.
Ultimately you have to make the choice. But i would not go the "code your own blog" sort of route man. just to hard.
Go for a blog. Forums, unless you have years of experience and have a detailed plan for development are too difficult.
its so frustrating trying to start up a forum, cz there are so many and facebook or twitter just takes the place anyway ! everyone knows them and there easy to use !

i freakin hate fb because of this !

il just go with a forum and maybe integrate a blog in after.
Start a forum. Maybe use something other than the trending myBB. I haven't know any blog as a discussion place really. Blogs are mainly read and go types.
so use phpbb or a paid forum ?