Support Forums

Full Version: Video Card Problem, or something More?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been having some major issues with my IMAC I purchased in 2009 (OSX 10.5.8 2.93 GHz Intel 2 Duo, etc) ...

It has started to develop freezing habits - where lines of screen-imagry are frozen onto the screen. It also randomly starts to show colorized static spots on the screen or just square chunks of the screen begin to freeze. The only way to fix it is the set the computer to sleep and it restarts without the frozen sections. In the past two weeks, however, the computer completely freezes causing me to restart the machine multiple times a day. I spoke to Apple and they suggested it was a video card issue, but no guarantees. The surprising thing is I am able to take a screen capture of the frozen screen - so I thought I would toss the problem on this forum and see if anyone has any ideas why this would be happening.
I have been using Macs since the mid 1990s and this is the first time I have ever witnessed this issue. ... Here is the image of my screen cap:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/h...freeze.jpg
I've seen this before; the Apple support was correct, this either means that your video card is damaged, or your computer is having trouble handling it. Try dual-booting with Windows 7 and installing your drivers, and see if it manages to work. Things don't look good for you, a broken Apple product is usually difficult to repair, if possible.