Support Forums

Full Version: What type of major to own a video gaming business would be necessary?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My friend wants to end up being a a video game designer but also wants to own his own business. What type of major would he declare himself as, we're not sure if he'd go for a business bachelors and then go again for a bachelors in video gaming. Please help us.
You don't need a business degree to start a business.

But it's highly recommended.
Really?But I think a business degree is better if I start a business.
Well.. If you're starting a business you wouldn't need any kinda degree. You need some knowledge of the subject because of course that helps in the long run

The funny thing is that you don't even need experience in that field to make a business. You just got to hire people who do lol
Well, technically the degree itself won't help much, but the knowledge coming from that degree will help loads.
You do not need a degree, You just need the knowledge.
What's the business about?

You said he wants to make games so I'm assuming he wants to develop his own game company, some business courses could help but it doesn't have to be the whole curriculum, I would instead focus on some sort of programming degree maybe even take some video game design courses if they're offered.

If it's retail as in selling games or a LAN center type of thing, again some business courses would help but at that point, he'd want to research the industry itself and maybe pursue a business degree if he liked it but not really necessary IMO as you'd just have to know how the business works by speaking with some franchises that revolve around that.
To OWN the company it'd be business/management or something like that. If you want to actually help out then majoring in like...art/graphic design, computer science, even music maybe could help.
I know some universities offer Video Game Design as a major.
How about this:
http://www.animationarena.com/majoring-i...esign.html