Support Forums

Full Version: Education Systems: We’re being conditioned against learning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It’s called operant conditioning, and we’re all subjected to it. What do you do when your dog does a trick you’re teaching it? You reward it right? And if it pisses on your couch? You punish it right? What you’re doing is shaping the dog’s behavior by controlling the consequences of his behavior. If he is punished, he will stop doing whatever he did that made you punish him.

Homework sucks. People hate it; some would rather have a pinecone shoved up their ass. Then again, there are those people – we all know them – who liked to have pinecones up their pooper. When do you get homework? Right after you learn something. You are being punished for learning and are being trained to hate it. Do you like waking up early? Probably not. When do you usually wake up early? For school. You are associating being tired (which I doubt you like) with going to school. You don’t like being tired and you won’t like school.

It’s really a basic but totally logical concept. But let’s assume this was non-existent, we weren’t being conditioned against learning. What is our true benefit of going to school? Most assignments, most topics, most classes will be useless to you once you graduate in grammar and high school. That would be fine if we actually developed skills we’ll need in the real world during our time in class, but we don’t. The system tries, but fails terribly.

Who has ever been assigned to a group project in school? The goal here is to teach you how to work together and accomplish a common goal. Great concept, right? Well, all I have ever learned from these activities is to never trust anybody to get crap done for or even with you. If you want it done right, you do it yourself. Everybody must have experienced this one way or another.

This week I was assigned a research paper in my US History class. Sweet, basically an easy A with minimal effort. I’d expect a 5-8 page research paper on a topic in History. Nope. This year the teachers decided to work together with the Literature department. We get to write a fiction research paper! We pick a topic from the 1750-1900 time period and add our own character in there. How freakin awesome is this? Not freakin awesome at all, that is the answer. Okay maybe if we got to do this on our own it’d maybe give these lazy and terribly unintelligent students in my class motivation to do something productive, but no. The teachers will be holding our hands and will be making us do it their way to a tee. What the fudge is that? We’re in high school, it is not that hard to write a 5-8 page fictional essay when we are given 2 months to do it. Notecards, outlines, rough draft, and the new “plot and character development plan.” Yeah we cannot even decide on our own method for plot/character development.

The point is, school caters to the underachievers and nobody wins. It’s an honest bullshit system that does not seem to be working one bit. Teach people common sense and how to create new ideas and maybe we’ll see some more success in the world. As of now, we just sitting at a stand still.

Why Lie?
Technology in itself is conditioning us against learning. Not just for basic knowledge on what most people would consider the extra's, but social intelligence as well. Now we have Facebook, Twitter, Cellphones, etc...

All of which condition us into a lesser person socially because we have no need to go up to someone to talk to them or even talk to them on the phone as less and less people start doing as soon as they figure out how to text.

Our skills for reading emotions is a lot less because of that.

We're being trained to be idiots as far as i'm concerned. As cynical as that sounds, it is true if you take things into perspective and look at the bigger picture.

Do we have to learn how to hunt?

Among many other basic questions like that which point to the fact that we're being forced to not require skills such as these as technology advances in society, it's virtually the same with using our brains, which becomes less and less "required" now that things are more automated.

"We (People) are not as intelligent as we think we are" - And that's my opinion on things. The saddest part is that we can't avoid heading in the direction we're going in, because of greed. We're basically just puppets controlled by a higher power.
Yup, and it's a sad truth to be honest. The 'Youtube' generation I'd call it, where the attention span is around 45 seconds and the intelligent level is below desirable. There's always going to be a few from the generation who don't fit that category, and they will hopefully rise up.

The whole world is heading no where good. And my generation is at the start of it.

But if Schools cut out the bullshit this could actually change and school would be productive and counter-act the burdens technology is placing on us.
(01-27-2012, 08:45 PM)Pierre Lambito Wrote: [ -> ]Yup, and it's a sad truth to be honest. The 'Youtube' generation I'd call it, where the attention span is around 45 seconds and the intelligent level is below desirable. There's always going to be a few from the generation who don't fit that category, and they will hopefully rise up.

The whole world is heading no where good. And my generation is at the start of it.

But if Schools cut out the bullshit this could actually change and school would be productive and counter-act the burdens technology is placing on us.

Educational systems are run by higher powers though. Board leaders don't even have the kind of power that you'd think they have, it's all government operated for the MOST part.

I'm pretty sure government itself and people like the presidents don't really rule much. It's all controlled by the money and greed, and i'm sure there are bigger powers out there that control most of it. Government is just a head figure that executes the way things are already set up to be for our future. That's truly what I believe too. If money is thrown around, things change, and fast.

You can never tell what the government is up to, but i'd assume lots of no good in the background. There's LOTS of corruption in the world today, and for some reason whether people are just closed-minded to it, because they think the world runs as it's portrayed, or they just don't see it, or can't piece things together, nothing changes, it just keeps going down the mudslide to the pit.
I understand who controls the education system. But yup, no one with the power to take a stand actually does it and nothing changes.

edit for your edit: Yes, this is corporate america. It's basically fact the Government doesn't control the change anymore. Money does.
(01-27-2012, 09:06 PM)Pierre Lambito Wrote: [ -> ]I understand who controls the education system. But yup, no one with the power to take a stand actually does it and nothing changes.

edit for your edit: Yes, this is corporate america. It's basically fact the Government doesn't control the change anymore. Money does.

Actually, it's very dangerous to try and change things and take a stand if you're posing a threat to a higher power in place too. I've personally seen lots of bad things come from it in my time.

People's houses being burnt down is one of them, and you also hear stories of guys just "dissapearing" as well based on what i've read and the research i've done and information i've came across.

Ever heard of Nikola Tesla? Smile He was onto something with being able to broadcast electricity to others. But as soon as his partner found out, you never heard of anything further that became of his invention through time.

We're so focused on oil now in today's world that those greedy cats at the top don't want things to change. And they have the money and power to stop change from happening.

They can't stop learning, for those that want to learn, but when you know too much and attempt to use that learned knowledge to change today's world in a way that interferes with something, it usually stops you.
It's a screwed situation. The people who run the world can easily change it. They just don't want to.

Your Nikola Tesla story reminded me of a guy who was broadcasting radio waves back when they were open (sort of how the internet is now). Anybody can broadcast on a frequency, but after they patched it up he found out how to interfere with the towers and make his own broadcasts. His whole setup was raided and destroyed with only a note saying "Try it again and you'll lose more."

The stuff you don't really hear about is the scariest.
(01-27-2012, 09:20 PM)Pierre Lambito Wrote: [ -> ]It's a screwed situation. The people who run the world can easily change it. They just don't want to.

Following the money while appealing to the public Smile Yes.