Support Forums

Full Version: Good Linux Distros
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What is a good Linux distro to use and what might I use it for?

Keep these things in mind while thinking of a good one
I develop in multiple languages... In particular I code in C++, C, PHP, CSS, HTML, and VB. In order from most to least.
I am a webmaster and own a forum, so it must have quick internet access.
Preferably able to run Skype, MSN Messenger, and AIM.

Thanks in advanced guys! I hope to see some of the replies Smile
Any would work, you can run programs with Wine, or a paid program like CrossOver. However if you're beginning, I would recommend Linux Mint. It's great, minimal, it looks nice, and is very easy to use, but very customizable.
I have used Linux Mint and Ubuntu already. It just isn't what I am looking for. Any other ideas on what a good distro might be?
(01-11-2012, 03:06 PM)AlbinoShadow Wrote: [ -> ]I have used Linux Mint and Ubuntu already. It just isn't what I am looking for. Any other ideas on what a good distro might be?

What are you looking for then? Because those are Good distro's. Unless you're very familiar with Linux I would also recommend Arch, but it's not for beginners, just as a warning.
You can try Fedora or CentOS.

If you want to manage your network, I found a really great one the other day called ClearOS. I don't think this allows you to use the computer as a desktop computer though. I haven't looked into it much as I'm waiting on a computer to arrive with a second NIC so I can run it in "Gateway mode".
(01-11-2012, 05:32 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: [ -> ]What are you looking for then? Because those are Good distro's. Unless you're very familiar with Linux I would also recommend Arch, but it's not for beginners, just as a warning.

Why? I don't think Arch is so difficult to use.
(01-12-2012, 08:29 AM)Techie. Wrote: [ -> ]Why? I don't think Arch is so difficult to use.

For a beginner, not used to having a desktop that you have to install manually? I doubt it.
I reccomand using Fedora, Debian, or Archlinux or the easier to set-up Archbang.
I personally enjoy using Centos as it is very stable not updates every month and alot of nice features however there is alot of diffrent versions of linux i would advise trying a variation of os's and find which one fits you best as someone using centos on here could be adapted to using that and cant use what the other person is using. Each to there own as i would say. Regards UB3R
I just installed Ubuntu, I like it to an extent but my problem is dual monitors.
Pages: 1 2 3