Support Forums

Full Version: Cinema 4D Tutorial - Pokeball Modeling / Texturing / Lighting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This I think is my first modeling tutorial, so I figured I'd start with something basic.
We'll be modeling, texturing and lighting a Pokeball.

Modeling

Start off by dropping a Sphere into your scene.
In the Attributes Manager, click the drop down menu for Type, and select
Hemisphere. Also, up the Spheres segements to 100.

[Image: 60GL.png]

Now with your Sphere selected, hit "C" on your keyboard. This will make
the Sphere editable.
Go on your Polygon selection tool, go to Select > Loop Selection, and select
the bottom ring of polygons like so:

[Image: QH01.png]

Hit delete to get rid of them. This is done so that we have a little gap for
the center of the Pokeball.
Go to Select > Select All, and hit "D" on your keyboard. This will bring up
the Extrude tool. In the Attributes Manager, check the box next to "Create Caps".
Now click on your polygons, and drag your mouse outwards, only slightly, so that
the Sphere has some depth, like so:

[Image: UNQ4.png]

Duplicate your Sphere and rotate the 2nd one 180 degrees.
Now add a brand new Sphere into your scene. It should automatically fit nicely
inside of your 2 outer spheres that we created.

[Image: WZ9K.png]

I'm going to call each of the Hemispheres "Shells" so that you don't get too
confused. Select both of the shells in your Objects Manager, right click, and
select "Connect Objects & Delete. This will merge them both into one object.

Now drop a Cylinder into your scene. Rotate it 90 degrees, and in the Attributes
Manager, set the Radius to about 25. You can also up the segments if you want a
smoother look, however do remember that this will increase your render time.

[Image: UZX7.png]

Another good idea would be to decrease the height of your Cylinder to about 50.
Just make sure that the Cylinder is intersecting with the shell.
Next up, go to Create > Modeling > Boole. Drop both your Shell, and your Cylinder
into the Boole. Make sure your Cylinder is underneath the Shell in your Hierarchy.
The Boole will act like a hole puncher, and cut the Cylinder shape out of the Shell,
providing that they are intersecting, as stated above.

[Image: 5UR9.png]

Now duplicate your Cylinder, making sure that the duplicate is not inside of the Boole.
This time, set the Radius to about 20. Duplicate your new cylinder, and set the radius to
Once you've had a play around with the positioning of your new cylinders, (only position along
the Y axis), you should have a button effect, similar to this:

[Image: 460U.png]

That's pretty much the whole Pokeball model complete. It's good practice to name all of your
Objects as you go along, however if you haven't done this, then I suggest doing it now.

Texturing

Create a new material, turn off Specular, and under the Colour tab, change the colour to red.
Next click on the Reflection tab. Click the arrow next to Texture, and select Fresnel.
Set the Brightness to about 5%, and the Mix Strength to about 20%.
Duplicate the material, and on the duplicate, change the colour from red to white.

These materials will be applied to the shell, so click on the tick next to the Boole, which
will turn it invisible. This will allow us to select the shell polygons easier.
With the Polygon Selection tool selected, and with the Live Selection tool on, in the
Attributes Manager, untick "Only Select Visible Elements". Now to ensure we don't select
polygons that we're not supposed to, I prefer to go into a side or front view.

Select all of the top shell like so:

[Image: 1C4U.png]

Now go to Select > Set Selection. Right click on the red material we created, and hit Apply.
Next up, go to Select > Invert. And repeat the process. So go to Select > Set Selection, only
this time, right click on the white material, and then hit Apply.
Once you turn your Boole back on, you should have something like this:

[Image: KH58.png]

Next, we need a new material. Uncheck everything except Colour, and turn the colour to black.
Apply this material to the inside of the Pokeball.
We need 2 more materials. A plain white material, and a grey. The white material will be applied
to the bigger of the 2 buttons, and the grey will be applied to the smaller of the 2 buttons,
like so:

[Image: OCOV.png]

Lighting

We're just going to do some basic lighting to make the scene look a little more interesting.
Drop a floor into the scene, and position it so that it's underneath the Pokeball.
Drop a Background into the scene. Apply the plain white material we created before to both
the Floor and the Background.
Right click on the Floor, and go to Cinema 4D Tags > Compositing. In the Attributes Manager,
check Compositing Background, and uncheck Cast Shadows, and Seen by Reflection.

Now drop a Sky into the scene. I recommend adding a HDR image to the sky, however any image,
as long as it is in the Luminace tab of the material, will work.
Right click on the SKy, go to Cinema 4D Tags > Compositing, and uncheck Seen by Camera.

Finally, drop an area light into your scene. You might even get away with having 2 area lights,
but make sure only one of those is casting shadows.

[Image: N48K.png]

Now to add a little more to the lighting, you can add Global Illumination and Ambient Occlusion
within your render settings, and set Anti Alaising to Best. Here's my final outcome:

[Image: ZSOY.png]

Hope you guys liked this tutorial! Please leave a post if you did. Smile
This is a great tutorial, very informative, you must have spent a lot of time on it.
Great job.
I'm extremely jealous of your graphic talents, Fragma. Glad you're finally starting to charge for your work as I said before.
Thanks guys. I'll be sharing some more tutorials here in the upcoming weeks.
This is awesome! I can't wait to get back from work to try this!
Holy crap, that's some bad ass modeling Smile
Hahaha Very realist Pokeball , thank for tut ;)
Bookmarked. And great tutorial and good work.
haha, good job Smile I thought you were going to make it into a proxy mine or some kind of detonation type bomb until I seen the colors. And I forgot about the thread at the time I moved over to this tab in my browser.
I freakin love 3D. (I Use 3D Studio Max), and I freakin LOVE POKEMON.

Awesome tutorial.
Pages: 1 2