Support Forums

Full Version: How do you cope?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just wondering how other people deal with their problems?

Alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, fighting?

What do you do?
None of that is going to solve the problem obviously, and is only going to create another problem that you're going to have to deal with eventually. So the way I deal with problems is by actually facing them.

Otherwise by your list, you're going to get addicted to cigarettes, and you'll start having health problems, or you're going to turn into an alcoholic if you've got enough problems, drugs aren't a solution anyways, and what do you have to fight if you have a problem, or what is there to fight?
Yeah but you have to realize some people are already alcoholics, and nothing will ever change that. So turning to say alcohol to cope with the problems you have isn't that big of a deal since you are already an alcoholic. Same if you where a marijuana addict or anything else.
(01-05-2012, 11:22 PM)Philly Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah but you have to realize some people are already alcoholics, and nothing will ever change that. So turning to say alcohol to cope with the problems you have isn't that big of a deal since you are already an alcoholic. Same if you where a marijuana addict or anything else.

I understand what you're saying, but if I was to be honest with you... I would still say that anything to cope with a problem should not encourage another problem that you have even more. Even if you're already an alcoholic, i'm sure you'd want to quit. Just like some people want to quit smoking (I mention some, because I know some are all talk but don't really care too much to quit, while there are some that really do want to quit).

To say that "nothing will ever change that" though is like giving up hope. There's always a way to change things. It's just easier to give up and go the road you've always taken because most people don't like change. It means getting used to habits that are outside of your norm, or your regular routine.

I can see this starting some decent discussion though.

I heard working out helps you cope with the stress of problems, but I think that would be a start. To get into a better state of mind so that you're thinking properly to be able to actually go out and solve your problems. I highly believe that people run away from their problems too often. It's not going to change anything until you decide or you have the confidence to deal with them. You'll feel good about doing that too, as hard as it is to just decide to go ahead and do something about an issue you're having, once it's dealt with, you can forget about it, instead of having it stored in a crate box in the back of your mind when you get up in the morning, when you're trying to sleep, while you're at work, etc...
You have some nice points. This isn't really based on me, hell I have my problems though. I have many actually. But this more so to ehar what other do to cope. I think your way of coping will probably be better than anyone else that posts though.
(01-05-2012, 11:40 PM)Philly Wrote: [ -> ]You have some nice points. This isn't really based on me, hell I have my problems though. I have many actually. But this more so to ehar what other do to cope. I think your way of coping will probably be better than anyone else that posts though.

Everyone does, I seen your post just now about your girl friend. I think it's nice to see the various ways that people try to cope with their problems. It gives opportunity to others to try new things and see what works best for themselves. I just heard that working out does help, it's almost like a physical way of releasing tension and stress in the form of physical energy. But at the same time, turning it into a routine could boost your self confidence as well because you're doing something healthy, and i'm sure anyone can be happy with results that it brings to their physique.

A few more I know off my head that i've never tried however.

-Meditation
-Yoga (probably more for the females)
-Dance (along with basically any kind of hobby that you might have, my girlfriend told me that she enjoys dancing to keep her mind off things though)

You could go golfing, play basketball, do whatever you want. I'm sure it helps as long as you can focus your thoughts away from whatever is bothering you at the time you do it.

My ultimate definition of coping with problems:
Quote:Anything that keeps your mind off the actual problem at hand for a long enough period of time, ensuring that you're brain gets enough of a break so that you're not overwhelmed when you have to go back and try to deal with that particular problem

I view it that way, everyone needs a break, and it's not only physically, in this case it's most likely going to take a mental break to get you back on track where you need to be.
I don't have problems, I never have to cope with them.
(01-05-2012, 11:55 PM)King Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have problems, I never have to cope with them.

(lol) Is this some kind of smart mentality to make it seem that you never have to deal with problems because every problem that you have, you picture as such a minute issue, regardless of how bad it really is, that you can believe in yourself to conquer them all without difficulty?

Because i'm sure you've had problems, but that is the way mentally healthy people think. Turn every negative into a positive or something that can be fixed without annoyance or difficulty. Nothing is unachievable, anything possible Smile
(01-05-2012, 11:58 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: [ -> ](lol) Is this some kind of smart mentality to make it seem that you never have to deal with problems because every problem that you have, you picture as such a minute issue, regardless of how bad it really is, that you can believe in yourself to conquer them all without difficulty?

Because i'm sure you've had problems, but that is the way mentally healthy people think. Turn every negative into a positive or something that can be fixed without annoyance or difficulty. Nothing is unachievable, anything possible Smile

Basically, I'm like level 10 optimism. I honestly do not get problems. Don't know if that's just my lifestyle - what I do seems to keep me out of trouble. If I get the occasional anxiety, I guess you can just talk to close friends about it and make yourself feel better about the situation.
Ultimately, i'm sure everyone has problems, but whether they are determined or defined as problems depends on the person specifically. I know people that would call a problem, something like... spilling a glass of water on the ground. Whereas other people I know of kind of shrug it off as it's not a huge deal of their time to get it cleaned up quickly.

I'm positive, and it's fact that the way that you think has a great effect on events that happen or anything else. We create our own emotions because we drag ourselves down for the most part. Even if it's just small things, it accumulates an atmosphere inside your brain that builds on those negative blocks and eventually you have a big problem. People that have a better "setup" lets call it, doesn't let those things build up in their brain, regardless of whether they are fixed or not, it's almost like telling the construction workers inside you're head to not stack those negative thoughts and to only use the good blocks to build that object, while you come along later and deal with the crappy blocks (negative thoughts)

An anomaly could be like trying to build a building, and having some chipped or bend or cracked boards, maybe rotted out ones too. You usually try to not use those blocks, so the solution would be to go get a better board, but some collapse and just go "what the hell" I just want this thing built. Therefore the bad boards get added to the structure too.

I honestly can't describe it better than that. (Might seem like a lot of BS, lol, but I assure you, the mind is a powerful thing, and it's the source of most of our problems. The way we think, determines our emotions. It just seems hard to believe because it is hard to control our emotions, most people just corrupt right on the spot and give into a negative emotion. But obviously you're not going to be happy if your friend dies or something, so sure you'll be mad/upset/whatever, but it's still understanding that nothing you can do will change that, and having to cope with that and move on as soon as you can makes you strong.)
Pages: 1 2 3