Support Forums

Full Version: Help! [Win 7] [System 32] [I'm fudged XD]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, i screwed up, I changed some .dll files in system 32, and now my computer wont work XD, I kept the old ones, so it should be easy to fix, however. Explour .exe wont work, so I can log in fine, but then I just get a blackscreen + mouse.

Not to worry, I can just boot on a live CD and change it back. Wrong, since installing win7 my mouse and keyboard don't power on untill after the boot menu. So no luck.

Then I tried booting of my other HDD(Win XP) So I unplug my main HDD, hoping it will default to the backup, however it doesn't, and I can't tell it too. So now my whole computer, not just the OS, or the HDD, the whole computer is useless =(

Any ideas? XD
(11-01-2009, 01:13 PM)PaNiK Wrote: [ -> ]What dlls did you change, and for what purpose?

OK, I wanted a theme for Windows 7, this one: http://tornado5.deviantart.com/art/Ambient-111330562

So I needed to patch uxtheme.dll, so I download the patch, but it gave me a error saying it only worked for SP3 (XP) So I looked for a 7 one, and found this. http://www.blogsdna.com/2231/how-to-patc...-style.htm

I followed the guide exactly, err, almost, They said the download had these .dll files.

uxtheme.dll

themeui.dll

shsvcs.dll

However it didn't have the last one, but instead, another themesomething one. So I followed the guide exactly, but with the different .dll.

Then I reboted, and got my errors, I get lots of them when I log in, saying some .dll is missing (Not any of the above) And things can load, taskmanager, explorer, and a few others.
No themes will work for Windows 7 right now. Windows 7 is designed so that you can make your own themes. Smile

Reinstall the OS, I guess. All of your old files will be in Windows.old so it won't be a big deal.
(11-01-2009, 02:22 PM)MreGSX Wrote: [ -> ]No themes will work for Windows 7 right now. Windows 7 is designed so that you can make your own themes. Smile

Reinstall the OS, I guess. All of your old files will be in Windows.old so it won't be a big deal.

I agree.
Put a live CD of ubuntu in, boot to it. Then go to [places] then select your HDD, then select WINDOWS, and follow your way to the respective folders, put the .dll files back via flash drive.
(11-01-2009, 03:14 PM)ktmrider530 Wrote: [ -> ]Put a live CD of ubuntu in, boot to it. Then go to [places] then select your HDD, then select WINDOWS, and follow your way to the respective folders, put the .dll files back via flash drive.

Exactly what i would do also. Except a Mandriva disk Smile
But it has to be the easiest way and no data will be lost.
You say you backed up your files? Then it should be as simple as deleting the old ones and replacing yours.
(11-01-2009, 03:35 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly what i would do also. Except a Mandriva disk Smile
But it has to be the easiest way and no data will be lost.
You say you backed up your files? Then it should be as simple as deleting the old ones and replacing yours.
Yeah, any linux live CD should do.
No, you see as I stated, I tried a live CD, and reinstalling, I can't because of the boot menu issue, I even tried unplugging my HDD so it would boot on my backup (XP) But no luck.
How could this be the issue then? If you cant boot off a live disk then its another issue.
System 32 files only relate to windows and have nothing to do with a live disk.
*EDIT*
Sorry keyboard and mouse issue. Well i would think linux would have the drivers for most cordless stuff? On the live disk i mean.
Try another keyboard then?? Or another mouse.
(11-01-2009, 04:25 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]How could this be the issue then? If you cant boot off a live disk then its another issue.
System 32 files only relate to windows and have nothing to do with a live disk.
*EDIT*
Sorry keyboard and mouse issue. Well i would think linux would have the drivers for most cordless stuff? On the live disk i mean.
Try another keyboard then?? Or another mouse.

No, I mean, on the windows boot menu, I can choose to boot from HDD1(7) HDD2(XP) Or CD(Ubuntu)

As I can't use the keyboard, I can select one, so after 30 seconds at makes the default choice, Windows 7.

This gives me two options, log into Win7 and fix the issue internally, or fix the boot menu issue, and fix Windows 7 externally. Linux has the drivers, but I can boot in Linux.

EDIT: Ah, you edited, I will try a new keyboard, but I'm not holding much hope =(
Bingo, fixed =) I tried four new keyboards, but no luck, I was about to give up when I realised all four were in fact USB keyboards, So I found one with the old style jacks, and "Wham!" The little numlock light lit up lol.

After that it was easy to boot from a live CD and fix the system 32 changes I had made. So good rule of thumb, always keep an old style keyboard laying around =)

Thanks for your help guys.
Pages: 1 2