Support Forums

Full Version: How to increase virtual RAM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
  • This is how to increase your virtual RAM.
  • Your RAM won't be as fast because it has to access hard drive.
  • How this works - You are using your hard drive as RAM memory, making it so that you can run more things at once, render in better quality, or play games a little better.

Please watch in the best quality for the best everything. ;)

If you have an SSD it works even better.
Did you make this tut yourself or did you rip it off of youtube?
All the videos and tutorials that I post are made by me.
Thanks for the share, hopefully this will work for me.
Just everybody keep in mind Virtual Memory won't even get close to matching up Physical Memory I highly doubt you'll even be able to notice the difference.
(12-26-2011, 07:52 PM)John. Wrote: [ -> ]Just everybody keep in mind Virtual Memory won't even get close to matching up Physical Memory I highly doubt you'll even be able to notice the difference.

No one said it had more power no need to get but hurt. If you have a ssd or a 15000 drive you can notice the difference.
Sound interesting i will check it out!
(12-15-2011, 02:54 PM)Epeolatry Wrote: [ -> ]
  • This is how to increase your virtual RAM.
  • Your RAM won't be as fast because it has to access hard drive.
  • How this works - You are using your hard drive as RAM memory, making it so that you can run more things at once, render in better quality, or play games a little better.

Please watch in the best quality for the best everything. ;)

If you have an SSD it works even better.

A few things to note here:

1) You should only set your paging to 1.5x your physical memory total size to use as swappable virtual memory.
2) If you already have 8GB Physical memory, you probably don't need to do anything with extra memory (physical or virtual period) because you won't notice any difference; most people don't use more than 4 and you're lucky if you're using 6GB at a time.
3)This isn't quite how it works:
Quote:How this works - You are using your hard drive as RAM memory, making it so that you can run more things at once, render in better quality, or play games a little better.

You're using hard drive space as memory, but it's not allocated to memory directly and right away, it's basically a set capacity for virtual memory that can be swapped into Virtual memory when the physical memory is used up.

"render in better quality, or play games a little better" - Nope, anything with rendering would have to do with how much memory your system is using up to render out a large amount of data frame by frame as opposed to a smaller amount of frames with less data if you're talking about video editing in a program like AE. Quality has nothing to do with this.
I don't need it my computer is strong enough, but thank you for the detailed exploitation
on how it works. I was not 100% sure how it worked all I knew was that it made it work a little bit better.
(12-29-2011, 07:10 AM)Epeolatry Wrote: [ -> ]I don't need it my computer is strong enough, but thank you for the detailed exploitation
on how it works. I was not 100% sure how it worked all I knew was that it made it work a little bit better.

Only makes it better for people that have less Physical RAM, I have 8GB though so I never noticed a difference really through allocating virtual RAM with any method whether it's my paging file or readyboost.