Support Forums

Full Version: Tutorial: How to install Rockbox onto your iPod (Quick and fairly painless)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you've never heard of Rockbox before, it is an open source firmware replacement for the iPod and other media players that adds a hell of a lot more functionality to your player than the stock Apple firmware. Today, I'm going to show you how to install it, and I will be demonstrating with my iPod Nano second gen.

You will need:

The correct Rockbox firmware for your iPod (not all iPods are supported, check the website for a list)
ipodpatcher (compatible with Windows, OS X and Linux)

1. Go to the Rockbox website and download the correct firmware for your iPod. I will be using rockbox-ipodnano2g.zip

2. Extract the .zip that you just downloaded into the root directory of your iPod (for example, E:\. Disk mode must be enabled for this, you can enable it in iTunes. Also, if iTunes opens when you plug your iPod in, close it before you continue.)

[Image: 56716053.jpg]

3. Now, we need to install the bootloader. Ensure that your iPod is connected and will not become disconnected during the flashing process, and run ipodpatcher. When prompted, press "i" and then Enter to install the bootloader.

[Image: 73689265.jpg]

[Image: 79327228.jpg]

4. If all went well, Rockbox should now be installed. Unplug it and it should automatically reboot. If not, reset it manually by holding the Menu and Select buttons simultaneously.

And yep, it installed fine for me =)

Sorry about the completely awful photo, my phone camera was the only camera available at the time of writing.

[Image: p3110091126.jpg]

If you think that the default theme looks a little ugly, you can download other themes from the Rockbox website or deviantART.

It also comes pre installed with lots of little useful apps, and you can download more fron the Internet. Personally, I think the most interesting one is the Game Boy/Game Boy Colour emulator:

[Image: p3110091058.jpg]

The controls work really well. Sound on the emulator does not work as of yet on the iPod Nano second gen, but I cannot vouch for other iPods. To use the emulator, just create a file named Game Boy in the root of your iPod, and drop your ROMs into there. Browse to the folder via the "Files" menu, click the ROM that you want to load, and away you go.

Have fun, and enjoy your new firmware. If you need to boot back into the Apple firmware, simply switch the iPod on and then flick the Hold switch to the on position Victoire

Also, just so you know, your music is stored in "Database", not "Files".