Support Forums

Full Version: Switch conflicts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, it seems my switch is unsure of whether to supply internet to the computers connected to it, or the wireless router connected to it.

Setup:

Modem: Arris Touchstone Telephony Modem (TM602G)
(has only one ethernet port)

which is then connected to my switch:

Switch: D-Link DES-1008D (10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch)
it's an 8 port switch

which then supplies connection to 4 Computers throughout the house. All was well...then i decided to buy a wireless router so i didn't have to keep my notebook plugged in all the time. That's when problems started.

Wireless Router: Linksys WRT54G2

At first, I just connected it to the switch. It wasn't even picking up the network. Not at all.

Then I decided to plug everybody out, and just keep the Modem and the wireless wireless plugged in. VOILA! Connected, supplied wonderful wifi to everybody...

So thinking all was well....connected the computers back to the switch...then I saw that NO ONE was connecting to the switch aside from the wireless router. It's like the router's commanding all the switch's resources and is a selfish you-know-what.

I tried setting all the IP addresses/gateways/subnets manually but that didn't work.....then again I'm not really good at this kinda stuff so maybe i'm just doing it wrong.

Can anyone help?

*DISCLAIMER*
I'm not really well versed in networking...so please bear with me.