Support Forums

Full Version: Repairing Linux Mint Grub Problem [SOLVED]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just installed fresh XP, and ofcourse i loose grub loader.. how to get him back? Put Mint CD in and next....?
There should be some sort of recovery option. Like repair boot loader?
Hm.. i cant find it.. When i run live CD i get desktop with root home and install... also i have menu like "start" in XP but i cant find anything useful
I ran into the same problem a week ago. But at that time I was too busy and couldn't be asked to come up with a proper solution. I just installed Mint again. Wasn't too much of a problem, since I didn't have that much stuff on it anyway.
But I did a bit of research. They suggest you modify your MBR on windows. Dunno how exactly that works though.
I solve this with on the next way (For further use if someone have this problem)

1. Start Linux Mint Live CD
2. Type "sudo grub" (without ")
3. Type "find /boot/grub/stage1" (without ") - You will get something like (hd0,5)
4. Next type "setup (hd0)" (without ") - This will install grub to your MBR - You will get something like this
Code:
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"...  15 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0) (hd0)1+15 p (hd0,1)/boot/grub/stage
2 /boot/grub/menu.lst"... succeeded
Done.
5. And thats it.. type "quit" (without ") and restart your computer.
(10-29-2009, 04:27 PM)-=[CyberHR]=- Wrote: [ -> ]I solve this with on the next way (For further use if someone have this problem)

1. Start Linux Mint Live CD
2. Type "sudo grub" (without ")
3. Type "find /boot/grub/stage1" (without ") - You will get something like (hd0,5)
4. Next type "setup (hd0)" (without ") - This will install grub to your MBR - You will get something like this
Code:
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"...  15 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0) (hd0)1+15 p (hd0,1)/boot/grub/stage
2 /boot/grub/menu.lst"... succeeded
Done.
5. And thats it.. type "quit" (without ") and restart your computer.
Damn, mate, where were you a week ago ??? Roflmao
Hehe, i have alot data on my disks and my external hard is broken so i cant reformat all, (i dont have any will to do that because i make that before 2 weeks Tongue ) and i was forced to find second solution Big Grin