Support Forums

Full Version: Fixing boot choices?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I didn't know whether or not I should post this here or not. I will ask that a moderator move it if I am in the wrong section. Thanks

Alright, here's the situation. I have Windows installed and I previously had Ubuntu installed (dual boot). When I turn the computer on it gives me the two options: Windows, Ubuntu. How can I remove the Ubuntu option so that my computer just boots Windows automatically? I want to remove the Ubuntu selection and have my computer start normally with Windows.
Go to system in windows and click something like advanced system options or something like that. then in one of the tabs it should say boot and start up. click on that and then you can change the startup option like which OS you boot into.
There is a file called boot.ini, that lists the boot menu options.

[Actually, this is the same file that has to be edited, as has been suggested, by going to the Advanced tab, after double clicking on System, in the Control Panel.

This file is normally hidden by default, so you may have to reset the file attributes first, before you can view it.

Note: - It would be a good idea, to make a copy of the boot.ini file, before you modify it.

For example, at the command prompt, in the root drive, usually C:\,
you could type the following:

attrib

which will display the files and their attributes.

At the command prompt, type:

attrib /?

to display the attrib help menu.

then, if boot.ini is displayed as:

A SHR C:\boot.ini

Where:

S - System
H - Hidden
R - Read Only

for example, at the command prompt type:

attrib -h boot.ini

which can, in certain cases, remove the hidden attribute.

Once you can see the contents of boot.ini, it may look similar to:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS2
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS2="Microsoft Windows XP Professional - Latest 29 Sep" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS1="Microsoft Windows XP Professional - Latest 30 Aug" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional - Latest - 02 Aug" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

but with the entry for Ubuntu displayed.

If you delete the entry for Ubuntu, that may allow you to boot into Windows on it's own,
but I can't remember if I have done this, so cannot say for certain it will work.
Maybe somebody else here, may be able to verify this.

You may have to boot into safe-mode, if you are denied access to do this in the normal Windows GUI.

Remember to make a copy of the boot.ini file, before you change it though.

Good luck with it.
Great reply UID=0. Hat goes off to you. What UID=0 said is 100% on the money.
(10-30-2009, 02:34 AM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]Great reply UID=0. Hat goes off to you. What UID=0 said is 100% on the money.

Hey man thanks! I really appreciate that you know!
Thanks I will try this method. I especially thank you for the amount of detail. Helpful.
Are both OS's on diffrent partitions? If they are then just formatt the other partition. Smile
I'm not sure, I used the Wubi installer.
Can you not check the partitions when you boot into windows? Or, does it not show your linux drive.
I probably could, but all of the Ubuntu files were saved under my C drive. I deleted them all. I just need the option to go away.
Pages: 1 2