Support Forums

Full Version: "Static" issues with computer.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been having a problem with my computer for the past several months.

I've kind of been assembling a small "mini-studio" in my bedroom to produce music with. And I've ran into this stumbling block I CANNOT get past.

Whenever I plug speakers or headphones into my laptop, there is a slight buzzing noise that is produced. It's a problem with the power cord. At least I think so. If the laptop cord is not plugged in, problem solved. There's no static. However, I can't have the plug in all the time because the battery only lasts for about half an hour.

The buzzing can sometimes be very quite or even inaudible depending on a variety of conditions. If I touch a USB condenser microphone with my hand, the buzzing decreases in volume. Also where the power adapter is sitting makes a difference.

So..what's the problem? Any advice? Thanks.
Buy a new power cord? Or take your Mini Studio elsewhere.
Earthing problems. Laptops are very noisy. I 'solved' my problems by buying a USB DAC instead of using the (crappy) analogue outs.
Sometimes it is caused if Phones/Cordless Phones are nearby,also when my PC Runs on Power from UPS or Inverter .
Have you installed the correct sound drivers for your laptop? Or was all the software pre-installed?
It's called interference. Most likely the cables for your stereo or headphones are crap. High quality speakers will have insulated and special cables to reduce interference that produces that static sound, especially with higher amperage speakers as that can blow everything.