Support Forums

Full Version: 128 bit computers? Future generation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows...,8827.html

Microsoft started working on 128 bit computers with backwards support like Windows 7 64 bit has for 32 bit programs and applications. This means that you'll still have a 128 bit system, but it will be able to read and execute the instructions from x64 and probably x86 as well.

This was an idea for Windows 8, and if that happens I might just change my outlook on that next OS to come out. Plans for it are definitely in Windows 9 though if you take Microsoft's word for it.
Its gunna happen sometime or another. IMO x86 is dead, and shoulda been off'ed awhile ago. The place I worked at this summer had machines with 4gb of ram at least. Big corporation, and all the machines ran x86, which was pointless for the allotted ram. So I really wish they would just kill x86 to make things more uniform and compatible.
This sounds very interesting. I wouldn't be surprised though. I'll definitely be looking forward to it.
do we even need 128bit support? we haven't even reached the 64bit threshold or ceiling.. we aren't even close.
(09-12-2011, 10:34 PM)spikebites Wrote: [ -> ]do we even need 128bit support? we haven't even reached the 64bit threshold or ceiling.. we aren't even close.

What? There's lots of support for 64 bit based systems... No need for 128 bit support directly, they are working on making 128 bit backwards binary compatible for other computer architectures...

It would mostly be hardware compatibility, but we already have one processor from AMD that is coming out with 128 bit support.
The thing is we still have people clinging to 32 bit and that's the problem. Lots of lazy developers as well. ;-(
(09-16-2011, 07:54 PM)remixedcat Wrote: [ -> ]The thing is we still have people clinging to 32 bit and that's the problem. Lots of lazy developers as well. ;-(

I'm not a lazy developer, but 64 bit is definitely farther than 32 bit by now architectural-wise. The trend shows more people running on 64 bit nowadays. 128 bit isn't too far off, with more hardware developed to support it, I would get it, there's already a 128 bit processor from AMD.
(09-16-2011, 10:18 PM)Ace Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not a lazy developer, but 64 bit is definitely farther than 32 bit by now architectural-wise. The trend shows more people running on 64 bit nowadays. 128 bit isn't too far off, with more hardware developed to support it, I would get it, there's already a 128 bit processor from AMD.

agreed. I would get a 128 Bit system when they come out as well.
This is definitely gonna improve the efficiency of work and leisure. I am waiting for it eagerly. ;)
damn its crazy how technology is advancing!

can't wait for 128 bit comps <3
Pages: 1 2