Support Forums

Full Version: Dual boot Linux&XP help (Nix 1. installed)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have problem.. On my laptop i have dualboot Linux Mint and Xp.. First i install XP then Linux (side by side..) and now my xp is chrased.. Now question is: Can i just put XP cd an reformat only my C partition where i have installed XP? or i must start all over..

Partitions are (on 120GB) 12,8GB (for XP [C] ntfs) 40 GB (for Linux [root] ext3) and rest is NTFS for my documents and home.

Will my rest partitons stay untouched?
just reformat.

short short
Any others opinion?
Yep just format mate. Your xp disk will see the other partitions but not know how to deal with them so you will not hurt them. Just make sure when it comes time to format during install you choose the NTFS partition.
Ok thanks to all for answers.
Now once you reinstall XP you will loose your grub for linux. But once XP is installed just run the install disk for linux again and repair the boot loader and then you will have both.
Good luck mate.
I'd agree with DAMINK that's the best way to go about it.
(10-26-2009, 04:16 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]Now once you reinstall XP you will loose your grub for linux. But once XP is installed just run the install disk for linux again and repair the boot loader and then you will have both.
Good luck mate.

Thanks... i will not loose data on my root and D partition when i repair grub?
No you will not loose anything. All it does is edits the boot loader.