Support Forums

Full Version: Slowly Learning To Draw Anime...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just thought I'd post my progress as I teach myself to draw anime. I already love drawing, but I'm not a fan at all of anime. The only anime I've ever enjoyed is Death Note. Aside from that, I've never been interested. But, I began to realize how close to real anatomy that anime anatomy is, and since I suck at drawing humans I figures observing anime would help me out while also adapting a cool new skill.

So here we go...

Attempt #1
There is no attempt 1 because I said so.

Attempt #2
Kind of just tried it out on the bottom of a page. Not quite right.

Attempt #3
Drew this for my girlfriend, because she adores anime.

Attempt #4
Drew during classes... still trying to figure out those eyes.

Attempt #5
Very pleased with this one. It's hawt.
wow man they are great!!! [no male?] i am very good at sketching PM me for my drawings....
If you're wanting to know how to draw the human figure, doing anime won't really help all that much. The best way is to do life drawing. Whether that be drawing a naked person, or just observational drawing of people/animals etc..

You need to learn the basics first however. A lot of people try to draw, without ever learning how to use a pencil properly first. Your line work is too hard, and you shouldn't outline any features. Start by sketching light basic outline, and define everything through shading.
For darker areas, rather than pressing down harder with your pencil, you need to build up layers until you're happy with the shade. When you press down hard, you leave indents in the paper which reflect light.

Also you should be using your rubber just as much as you use your pencil.
They look great mate, keep it up. Smile
(09-02-2011, 02:35 AM)Fragma Wrote: [ -> ]If you're wanting to know how to draw the human figure, doing anime won't really help all that much. The best way is to do life drawing. Whether that be drawing a naked person, or just observational drawing of people/animals etc..

I disagree to an extent. I very rarely include fully drawn people, let alone detailed human figures, in my drawings and paintings, and so I feel that casually learning the form and figure of anime benefits me slightly.

(09-02-2011, 02:35 AM)Fragma Wrote: [ -> ]You need to learn the basics first however. A lot of people try to draw, without ever learning how to use a pencil properly first. Your line work is too hard, and you shouldn't outline any features. Start by sketching light basic outline, and define everything through shading.

If I was doing a drawing based on realism, I'd be doing this. But this is just casual doodles and cartoons. It also doesn't help I'm drawing with a plain 7mm mechanical pencil rather than my drawing pencils.

(09-02-2011, 02:35 AM)Fragma Wrote: [ -> ]For darker areas, rather than pressing down harder with your pencil, you need to build up layers until you're happy with the shade. When you press down hard, you leave indents in the paper which reflect light.

Also you should be using your rubber just as much as you use your pencil.

Trust me, I know this stuff already. However, I am lazy and these are casual drawings and doodles. Since I do not intend on posting these as alleged pieces of art, I'm not worried about all the technicalities and techniques of drawing.

If I wanted to draw properly, I probably could. I could go through my old sketchbook but I'm lazy, so I'll just post this old scan of my drawing exam:
[Image: drawing_class_exam___pears_by_jdbar-d3harbs.png]

Thanks for taking the time to post though. I appreciate it much, but I draw very different depending on whether or not I consider myself to be doodling or drawing.
And to everyone else, thanks as well! Also, I don't draw males... usually. Girls are better. XD
They are looking very good,A lot better than i can draw Tongue
Did another one for the night, because the one I was supposed to do today ended up awful and I trashed it.

This one should suit Fragma's tastes a little more, hopefully. XP

Attempt #6
You're a very talented artist.
I could never get drawing humans down.
I love drawing abstract art, because no matter how badly I do I can just be like "It's abstract!" Big Grin
I'm not that into anime either by the way, however I enjoyed a few. I may start watching Death Note, my anime loving friends recommend itSmile
HOLY CRAP.

That's really quite amazing, I could never draw something like that.

The amount of detail and work you put into it is awesome!

I'm sure your girlfriend really loved that picture too xD
Looks like your coming along well. Keep up the good work
Pages: 1 2