Support Forums

Full Version: About To Dual Boot.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I love Linux but I want to get the cleanest and nicest looking distro.
How can I know if I'll have any problems with it?
What do you mean how will you know if you'll have problems with it?
Like problems with it's booting or anything.
Also what's the est distro to use?
Best distro depends on your experience and what you want out of Linux. No problems with booting, if you boot with Linux or any other distro you'll still have the option to boot from your Windows OS off your hard drive. Linux mint provides a GNOME menu for selecting which to boot.
I'm pretty decent with linux I just want a clean looking distro.
It's not the distro that's clean - each distro comes with a pre-installed DE (Desktop Environment), except a few like Gentoo for example, but those are out of reach for you I believe.

If you want to get a 'clean' DE, I recommend one of the three most common used ones (or four):
  • GNOME
  • KDE
  • Xfce
  • Unity

Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, etc., distros like those <-- have always *by default* been using GNOME, but you always have the option to install the others.

Ubuntu has other distributions similar to itself with the same repositories for installing software such as Kubuntu, Xubuntu, which come with KDE or Xfce respectively.

GNOME is in the middle of X (xfce) and KDE, being semi lightweight while at the same time being at ease of use for customization if you want to make it look cooler. I prefer to have it left alone.

Xfce is more lightweight and offers less hardcore editing of the look, and KDE is more heavy weight and has a lot of options. I never liked KDE or Xfce though.

There are also WM's that run without it seeming like you're on the DE (Wm = Window Manager), such as Fluxbox/Openbox, these are incredibly lightweight however they offer some pretty cool customization options, I use those once in a while but they are a pain, really. They have a right click menu for all of your applications, and stuff like that.

Another thing you might be interested in is Conky. It's not a DE or WM but if you get a cool conky script it shows stuff like /dev/sd* space, disk usage, RAM, etc.

I recommend you use Mint or Ubuntu to start though, both have great installers for selecting to install side by side with Windows. I believe they both install a Linux boot loader so when you sign onto your computer (post-boot) it'll be Linux offering Ubuntu or Windows.
I don't like Mint that much. I want something like this:
http://i.imgur.com/o7E4p.png
What do you mean you don't like Mint? You say you are decent in Linux but Mint is simply a distribution. I'm pretty sure that screenshot is an edited Fluxbox.

You clearly didn't read what I wrote if you're still saying you don't like the distro.
I just hate how it looks. I have it.
Is Xubuntu good?
What are you talking about you hate how it looks? Then change it.

Install fluxbox, go for it, get stuck at trying to get your network working.

Code:
sudo apt-get install fluxbox

Then log out and choose Fluxbox instead of GNOME.

I already told you about Xubuntu.
Pages: 1 2