Support Forums

Full Version: Firefox 9.0a1 Released
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Firefox 9 (Nightly) just came out a few minutes ago, I got the update for it, and i'm currently re-modifying addons to see if I can get them compatible again.

Rapid development from Firefox so far.
I like to wait for stable updates, no rush to get a beta that may crash.
That's true, but Nightly has been fairly stable for me, and since I know a fair bit about Firefox's source code I can help part of the development with it, more on the json half though. Plugins and themes are another area i'm comfortable with.
Since you seem to know a fair bit about firefox (more than me anyways), I'll go ahead and ask you a quick question.

Is firefox known to be less stable on a linux distro? I've had a good deal of crashes so I'm wondering whether it's me or everyone.

Thanks in advance.
(08-20-2011, 01:59 PM)wale Wrote: [ -> ]Since you seem to know a fair bit about firefox (more than me anyways), I'll go ahead and ask you a quick question.

Is firefox known to be less stable on a linux distro? I've had a good deal of crashes so I'm wondering whether it's me or everyone.

Thanks in advance.

No, I highly doubt that. With Linux though, especially if you use Ubuntu, it's a lot bulkier in computer resources, if you are using a partition to run a dual boot with Linux and another boot system on your computer, then you may have not allocated enough swap memory, or a number of other issues.

One of the admins here I would suggest you go ask (Solidus), he uses Linux on a daily basis, and knows quite a bit about Linux. He can point you in the right direction for optimizing your Linux I'm sure. Does your entire system freeze? And you should try running Linux for an extended period of time without opening the internet in a web browser, or testing a different web browser that uses less CPU in your "top" command line.

My issue with Linux was that my core temps seemed to be getting too high, and I never could figure it out, I even removed a few packs, and used Ailurus for memory optimization.
I run fedora and that's the only operating system. Firefox is the only application that will have problems, the rest of the computer will work without problem.

I understand my operating system, I just didn't find firefox to be the best of quality on it. I haven't had any problems on OS X using firefox.
Does your firefox crash right away? What happens when it crashes? The computer locks up/Reboots/Shuts down? Or Firefox just closes?
I simply getting a page saying that firefox isn't responsive which ends with me having to close it. The computer itself will continue to work properly, I tend to run a .jar macro in the side that works perfectly.

It isn't a big deal just a minor annoyance.
How is it so far? I'm not a big Firefox user although I do use it.
I'm not sure, i've never had issues with Firefox specifically, just my core temps when I ran Mint 10 Julia, but Mint 11 seems to be fine for me, and Arch when I had that partitioned alongside my main Windows 7 OS

(08-20-2011, 02:47 PM)Kom Wrote: [ -> ]How is it so far? I'm not a big Firefox user although I do use it.

What version of Firefox do you have?
Pages: 1 2 3