Support Forums

Full Version: (Help) Read only on file sharing across different windows versions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some background info:

I just finished installing the LLTD update for windows xp so that I could add my windows xp computer to my home network to allow file sharing and such and I got all the file sharing to work except for one feature that I believe is crucial.

The problem

The file sharing works fine except that other people on the network can modify the files. I want the files to be read only. I want to be the only one on the network that has the rights to modify or add new files.

Some information:

This is what I get when I right click the folder that I want to share on the network.
[Image: 32163b94172314fd1cd1d5de916717c4.png]
As you can see, I can choose to make the files read only by unchecking the box "allow users to change my files", but then that would omit me from changing them as well and I want to be able to modify them.

The question is

How do I make myself the only user on the network that can modify the files while allowing the other users to view and download the files to their local machines?
What version of windows are you running? You shouldn't have needed to download an external 3rd party program for this. Vista, and Windows 7 network and sharing center have the option to share files in a network. I use it between numerous computers on my home network (including 4 or 5 different computers). You can change your own personal settings to have it read only, passworded, or full access to a public folder on your computer.
(08-15-2011, 05:41 AM)Ace Wrote: [ -> ]What version of windows are you running? You shouldn't have needed to download an external 3rd party program for this. Vista, and Windows 7 network and sharing center have the option to share files in a network. I use it between numerous computers on my home network (including 4 or 5 different computers). You can change your own personal settings to have it read only, passworded, or full access to a public folder on your computer.

Here is my network diagram.
[Image: cc320de1623fb1c089aac6594979f895.png]

Sarakali is running win7. Saraswati is running xp. Saraswati needs the update if she (I name my computers after Indian Gods) wants to communicate with the rest of the vista and win 7 computers in my network. (not pictured)
Is FBI_surveillance_ your Gateway? You should have all the computers in your network hooked up to your Switch, and the gateway joining you from your switch to the internet.
(08-15-2011, 06:55 PM)Ace Wrote: [ -> ]Is FBI_surveillance_ your Gateway? You should have all the computers in your network hooked up to your Switch, and the gateway joining you from your switch to the internet.

Actually that diagram isn't entirely correct. Windows messed it up. My cable modem is plugged into the router and all the PCs on the network are connected to the wireless router. (the xp computer and another win 7 computer that isn't listed are the only two that are wired to the router via ethernet.)
(08-15-2011, 07:08 PM)Annuit Coeptis Wrote: [ -> ]Actually that diagram isn't entirely correct. Windows messed it up. My cable modem is plugged into the router and all the PCs on the network are connected to the wireless router. (the xp computer and another win 7 computer that isn't listed are the only two that are wired to the router via ethernet.)

See I have all the computers in my home network hooked up to the router via ethernet, and the only one that isnt would be my macbook, which runs off an air wireless network.
(08-15-2011, 07:18 PM)Ace Wrote: [ -> ]See I have all the computers in my home network hooked up to the router via ethernet, and the only one that isnt would be my macbook, which runs off an air wireless network.

So is there a solution? Do you know how to fix it? Or a workaround or anything?
Wow that sounds like a confusing problem
Sorry I can't help :/
Bump. I still would really like to do this. Is there any way that it can be done? I am pretty sure there is since my school does it. I want to make only one user on the workgroup to have the ability to edit files. Every other user on the network should only be able to view the files.