Support Forums

Full Version: Styles of Play for Black Ops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 445_Untitled-1.png]

Introduction

Many Call of Duty players like to specialize in a particular style of play.
There's rushers, snipers and heavy gunners, to name a few.
Today i want to present you a few of them

Styles of Play

The "good old" Sniper

Fuelled by montages on YouTube, sniping in Call of Duty has gradually been redefined as the 'party trick' play-style. The focus has shifted from long-range support play to run-'n'-gun quickscoping with 360 ladder-shots to boot. However, Treyarch have affirmed that they're combatting quickscoping in Black Ops, for better or for worse. Rather than give an opinion on this tweak, I've decided to propose a return to good-old fashioned marksman sniping.

Example Class:

Primary weapon: L96 / Variable Zoom or variable zoom

Secondary weapon: CZ75

Equipment: Claymore

Lethal grenade: Tomahawk

Tactical grenade: Smoke

Perk 1: Ghost

Perk 2: Scout

Perk 3: Marathon

[Image: 9f5258aeb9247e7658eae61.png]

This class should enable you to sneak around, undetected with the ghost perk, in order to pick the best location you can find. From there, the Scout perk will allow you to hold your breath for that extra second in order to score a one-shot kill, while the Variable Zoom Scope will let you pick off the most distant of enemies. Finally, Marathon will allow you to sprint off and find another position before the opposition get wise to your hiding place. Just to be sure, though, use your claymore to protect your back.

The Rifleman

There was a vocal minority of players that were disappointed over Infinity Ward's decision to include the M21 EBR sniper rifle (strictly a fictional gun) in the Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer, while omitting its assault rifle brother and namesake, the M14 EBR. They'll be pleased to hear that the M14 returns in Black Ops, together with a vintage wooden look.

Example Class:

Primary weapon: M14 w/ custom red dot sight

Secondary weapon: CZ75 (or any pistol you like)

Equipment: C4

Lethal grenade: Frag

Tactical grenade: Decoy

Perk 1: Scavenger

Perk 2: Steady Aim

[Image: 8777a4aae07d112ea4b96e1.png]

This class has something for every situation. First off, the M14 is a high-damage weapon, and, coupled with a custom red dot sight, will be capable of killing enemies at range. However, when surprised at close-quarters, the Steady Aim perk will allow you to hip-fire and get yourself out of some tricky situations. In objective games, the combination of the Decoy tactical grenade and C4 will allow you to set a trap: plant your C4 in a doorway or corridor and then use the Decoy to draw enemies out.

Finally, if you are in a dangerous situation you can easily escape with marathon Pro.

Juggernaut

The Juggernaut class packs plenty of firepower, but not much pace...

Example Class:

Primary weapon: M60 w/ Grip

Secondary weapon: China Lake Grenade Launcher

Equipment: Tac Insertion

Lethal grenade: Semtex

Tactical grenade: Nova Gas

Perk 1: Flak Jacket

Perk 2: Hardened

Perk 3: Tactical Mask

[Image: 62559c69b9c5b4c4d60b49f.png]

Sporting the famous M60 light machine gun, often seen mounted on helicopters, you'll be able to tear through enemies with this class. Through Nova Gas into a crowded corridor and mow them down, as they stumble around blindly. Deploy your Radar Scrambler to add to their confusion. Hardened will allow you to spray through walls in order to catch those hiding in cover, while Tactical Mask and Flak Jacket will render you almost immune to explosives and stun grenades. If you run out of ammo, switch to your China Lake and decimate multiple hostiles with a single explosive round.

The Rusher

Rushing is not a new play-style, but it'll be as thriving as ever in Black Ops. The basic premise of rushing is to be light, nimble and quick, so that they can sprint behind enemy lines and catch them out.

Example Class:

Primary weapon: Scorpion / Extended Mags or rapid Fire

Secondary weapon: Any Pistol

Equipment: Claymore

Tactical grenade: Flashbang

Perk 1: Lightweight

Perk 2: Sleight of Hand

[Image: 28e0d66d9d0f333761e739f.png]

The combination of Marathon and Lightweight will make this class faster than everyone else. Sleight of Hand will be very usefull in combats against more enemys. The machine pistols mags are very small and you should not lose just because of reloading. The claymore will help you to keep your back secure. You can change fast to the pistol if you out of ammo.

The Shotgunner

The Shotgun was a secondary weapon in Modern Warfare 2, much to the surprise of many players. However, it's reclaimed its original place as a primary weapon in CoD: Black Ops. Shotgunning, like rushing with an SMG, relies on the element of surprise. If you get the first shot in, you should get the kill - but venture out into the open and you'll have little protection from snipers.

Example Class:

Primary weapon: SPAS-12 / Grip

Secondary weapon: Crossbow

Equipment: C4

Lethal grenade: Frag

Tactical grenade: Concussion

Perk 1: Lightweight

Perk 2: Steady Aim

[Image: 59dd9e3fc49f3f9b820f9c0.png]

This class packs a crossbow for longer range kills. Steady Aim decreases the spread of your shotgun pellets, making a one-shot kill more likely. Marathon will make you run fast behind the enemys frontline. The Concussion tactical grenade (formerly known as a stun grenade) will slow down your enemy if they're just out of range, and Lightweight will allow you to take advantage of this in order to take your shot from close range.

The Team Player

In team-based objective games such as Domination and Capture the Flag, you need to put the good of the team before yourself. To recognize this, Treyarch have removed Kill per Death ratios from objective games, in order to encourage players not to focus on their personal kills but on the team's objective. Here's a class that'll make you popular with your team-mates:

Example Class:

Primary weapon: AUG / custom red dot sight

Secondary weapon: RPG

Equipment: Camera Spike

Tactical grenade: Flashbang

Perk 1: Hardline

Perk 2: Sleight of Hand

Perk 3: Hacker

[Image: b8f2705d92a5fb1ee66ebe4.png]

This class packs power and precision: The AUG with your choice of sight will allow you to pick off the bomb planter from a suitable vantage point, while the RPG will allow you to blast away several enemies capturing a flag on Domination. The Camera Spike equipment will help you to watch your back in case of flanking. Hardline helps you to earn those killstreaks sooner (equip UAV in order to help your team discover enemies with only a 2-killstreak), while Hacker will allow you to warn your team of the opposition's claymores. Finally, Sleight of Hand will give you an all-important quicker reload-time.

So that was my little guide about Black Ops. Hope it helped some of you. I had tested each of this classes myself and they all are working great.

Blixx
The Gamers
Personally i like to rush, i mean i don't like to stay at the same place all the game long and wait for, i prefer run through the full map, with assault weapons.
Looks realy well .. im getting saturday Black Ops .. So I will look at this and make some good classes Big Grin
I'm more of an M60 kind of guy but change the secondary to an RPG or LAW and i'll be fine :3
This is an awesome thread, nice job man
(08-10-2011, 01:51 PM)H4CKCID_BURN Wrote: [ -> ]Personally i like to rush, i mean i don't like to stay at the same place all the game long and wait for, i prefer run through the full map, with assault weapons.

Same here staying in one spot I can not do
This is a rather helpful thread, thanks
I like to play with the sniper, I find it more fun.