Support Forums

Full Version: Vista Task Manager
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What's Up?

OK, So upon trying to overwrite taskmgr.exe in the system32 folder, I found that i dont have access to do anything but read and execute the file, It seems the user "Trustedinstaller" Hogs full permissions, How can i edit the file so i have full access to it as well?

I tried using xcacls but still denied access.

Thanks Bye.
(10-24-2009, 08:54 AM)Scorpion Wrote: [ -> ]What's Up?

OK, So upon trying to overwrite taskmgr.exe in the system32 folder, I found that i dont have access to do anything but read and execute the file, It seems the user "Trustedinstaller" Hogs full permissions, How can i edit the file so i have full access to it as well?

I tried using xcacls but still denied access.

Thanks Bye.

right click
properties
security
advanced
owner
edit
choose your account
apply+ok
permissions
edit
choose your account
edit
"full control" check allow
then apply and ok
thats it
(10-24-2009, 03:06 PM)cofusion Wrote: [ -> ]right click
properties
security
advanced
owner
edit
choose your account
apply+ok
permissions
edit
choose your account
edit
"full control" check allow
then apply and ok
thats it

I had the same problem a couple weeks ago, I used something similar to this.
Open up the command prompt and type the following commands:
Code:
takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe
Press enter and enter the following:
Code:
icacls C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe /grant (username of your account on your computer):F
And then try to do it.

~J4mmy
If the suggestions above don't work, try googling a program called "Take ownership".
This is a very old thread, I don't think he's still on the forum. It's been more than a year since his last visit.
Oh crap, sorry, I instinctively thought to post-- assumed this was an active forum. Confused
(08-08-2011, 06:30 PM)Athostle Wrote: [ -> ]Oh crap, sorry, I instinctively thought to post-- assumed this was an active forum. Confused
Yea this thread is 7 months old lol.
(08-09-2011, 12:21 AM)Viruz Wrote: [ -> ]Yea this thread is 7 months old lol.
Someone just said that. :/