Support Forums

Full Version: Signed away the rights to my body.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So for the past couple years, I've been trying to get into the US Air Force, and they kept giving me a bunch of problems. First they wouldn't let me in because I don't have a high school diploma, so I had to get my GED and and 15 college credits. Then they discovered I have a mild kyphosis in my spine, so I had to wait half a year for them to clear that.

But yesterday, I finally signed my contract, and am officially a member of the United States Air Force Big Grin

So for the next 8 years, I no longer am the owner of my body Tongue
Did they decide for you to do a tour of 8 years, or what? And what will you be doing?
I haven't been assigned a job yet. The contract states that for 8 years I am basically owned by the government. 4 of those years have to be active duty, and the other 4 I can be in the reserves (though I will probably just stay active duty for the full 8 years).

I'm not sure when they will tell me what job I got or not, I'm gonna go talk to my recruiter here in a bit and he should fill me in on that stuff.

But basically I picked 10 jobs, and two aptitude fields, and I'm guaranteed to either get one of the jobs or ones of the fields that I picked.
Congrats man.

Thank you for serving our country!
Congratulations.

I have a friend who is also joining the Air Force and left to basic yesterday.

Just some advice, unless you're planning to spend the rest of your life in the Air Force, try to pick an MOS which you can apply to other jobs once you decide to get out. That way you won't be stuck working a low paying part time job because of your lack of work experience.

May I ask what you scored on your ASVAB?
(07-28-2011, 11:20 AM)Decept ♥ Wrote: [ -> ]Congratulations.

I have a friend who is also joining the Air Force and left to basic yesterday.

Just some advice, unless you're planning to spend the rest of your life in the Air Force, try to pick an MOS which you can apply to other jobs once you decide to get out. That way you won't be stuck working a low paying part time job because of your lack of work experience.

May I ask what you scored on your ASVAB?

There were only like 2 jobs that I picked that wouldn't really help me outside of the Air Force, and it's not very likely that I'll get either one of them (UAV pilot, and nuclear weapons engineer).

I got a 74 for my overall score. I don't remember what I scored in each section, but I know my mechanical was in the 90s, and my electrical was pretty high too.
(07-28-2011, 11:28 AM)Terridax Wrote: [ -> ]There were only like 2 jobs that I picked that wouldn't really help me outside of the Air Force, and it's not very likely that I'll get either one of them (UAV pilot, and nuclear weapons engineer).

I got a 74 for my overall score. I don't remember what I scored in each section, but I know my mechanical was in the 90s, and my electrical was pretty high too.

That's good. The mechanical and electrical question were the ones I found to be the most difficult.
(07-28-2011, 11:33 AM)Decept ♥ Wrote: [ -> ]That's good. The mechanical and electrical question were the ones I found to be the most difficult.
Well, my dad's a mechanic, and I love building things, so that definitely helped with mechanical.
And electrical... well, I spend a vast majority of my time on my computer Tongue

Administrative was where I was lacking the most.
Best of luck with the new owner of your body!
Yes hope you made the right choice seems like your pretty happy about it.
I know a friend that is also in the USAF and he loves it.

8 years is a long time but I am sure when its all done you will think it went by quick.
Best of luck for a good time on your journey
Pages: 1 2 3