Support Forums

Full Version: The Truth about Page Rank
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Source: GenWebs.net | Webmaster Blog

This is something I feel needs to be announced! PageRank is useless! Well, in a sense to effect your SERPs. PageRank will not harm your SERPs, nor will it benefit your SERPs. It is just a bragging right!

Sure, I have my pagerank displayed on the sidebar, but that’s only so people know the webpage isn’t low quality. This helps with views, advertising, etc.

So PR doesn’t effect serps and shouldn’t be worried about, but it is prestigious and can help you in other ways.
Actually page rank is vital for SEO, for google especially, it's what provides the indexed pages their position on each page, for relevancy of the key words typed out in the search bar for the query. Google is the main one, and page rank originally started with Google. Nothing has changed since, page rank is determined by google crawlers, and page position depends on page rank per keyword. It's the reason why some keywords put pages in different positions on google, and the arrangement of the links that appear for your search don't show the same results when you change a word. It's all related strictly to page rank. It's not just a prestigious value. The only thing about page rank is that it doesn't get updated before you get good SERPs. But having a higher page rank means google crawls your website more often which is big too.

Bing is actually a better search engine than google. Bing has a higher count of indexed pages than google believe it or not. The main reason for their success is mostly because it comes installed as a default package with IE. Average computer users don't bother with downloading Firefox or Chrome most of the time. Half of the time when I see someone else's computer, all I see is IE on their system.
Nope man I'm telling you page rank effects SERPs 0%. I can have 0/10 PR and still outrank a 7/10.
(07-27-2011, 04:39 PM)Laugh Wrote: [ -> ]Nope man I'm telling you page rank effects SERPs 0%. I can have 0/10 PR and still outrank a 7/10.

7/10 where? and for which keywords? You can't have your site indexed on google at all if you had no page rank.

Look at it this way, part page rank, is determined by content, content puts you higher on the indexed pages no matter how much content you have. If nothing else was added or increased page rank helps you get a better index on google.

Each site that links to yours is like a vote, and depending on the page rank of the site that referred you has, determines the importance of their vote. You're page rank by then determines how google ranks you on their indexed pages in the search results.
Ace, he's right. Google even posted a blog about it themselves, PR has no real purpose or effect on anything.
However, it's still valuable because of how people use it. Go on DigitalPoint and you'll see people wanting links on high PR sites, or listing the PR when they're selling.
Yeah Solidus that was my second point..it isn't totally useless it just has prestige and market value.

Totally forgot you were an admin here.
(07-27-2011, 04:37 PM)Ace Wrote: [ -> ]Actually page rank is vital for SEO, for google especially, it's what provides the indexed pages their position on each page, for relevancy of the key words typed out in the search bar for the query. Google is the main one, and page rank originally started with Google. Nothing has changed since, page rank is determined by google crawlers, and page position depends on page rank per keyword. It's the reason why some keywords put pages in different positions on google, and the arrangement of the links that appear for your search don't show the same results when you change a word. It's all related strictly to page rank. It's not just a prestigious value. The only thing about page rank is that it doesn't get updated before you get good SERPs. But having a higher page rank means google crawls your website more often which is big too.

Bing is actually a better search engine than google. Bing has a higher count of indexed pages than google believe it or not. The main reason for their success is mostly because it comes installed as a default package with IE. Average computer users don't bother with downloading Firefox or Chrome most of the time. Half of the time when I see someone else's computer, all I see is IE on their system.

I agree with you! If u get high PR, u will be in the front page of google. So will get more visitors.
(07-27-2011, 06:25 PM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]Ace, he's right. Google even posted a blog about it themselves, PR has no real purpose or effect on anything.
However, it's still valuable because of how people use it. Go on DigitalPoint and you'll see people wanting links on high PR sites, or listing the PR when they're selling.

I know it's just a measure of quality, but my idea was that people use PR to get better ranks on google. PR by itself doesn't mean much, but it's not useless for indexing on google completely. They are still related

Getting high PR links means google crawls your site more often, if you have updated content, for every time google "tests" your pages, then you're going to have a slightly better index, depending on what is there for it to see. It's the same idea as "first come first served". Say you had a website that featured news reports. If you're the first one that Google crawls for the most updated event on an explosion in Iraq lets say... then you'll have first priority for relevance on certain keywords related to it, getting you a better index/rank on google.

I do the same thing, only I don't run a lot of updated content on my own sites.