Support Forums

Full Version: How do I make an ip address accessible to the internet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Background

I just finished configuring my array of
network cameras in my house to be accessible via WLAN and WLAN only.
I am accessing the cameras with a
static ip of one device that allows me
to control all the cameras via a dyndns service.
(mydomain.dyndns.org hosts the static ip of the camera server.)

What I want to do

The cameras are only accessible
from devices that are connected to
my network. I want to be able to connect
to them from any device that is connected to the internet.

Prompt

How do I do this?

Note: I would prefer it if I could continue
using my dyndns domain to connect to
the cameras from the internet.
Are you trying to make this IP publicly accessible online? You need to establish all reasons. For remote access, terminal access, blah blah.

Having read your post I imagine this is for worldwide streaming? Have you enabled your sharing settings to “public” on your computer?
(07-26-2011, 06:19 PM)Teruko Wrote: [ -> ]Are you trying to make this IP publicly accessible online? You need to establish all reasons. For remote access, terminal access, blah blah.

Having read your post I imagine this is for worldwide streaming? Have you enabled your sharing settings to “public” on your computer?

I am trying to make it accessible online for me only. The software that I use for the cameras password protects it but I just need it to be accessible. I am not trying to stream the contents publicly, I just want to be able access them.
I think the simple way of doing this would be to stream the feed to a webpage, and then create a login/admin access panel for the site. This way only the admin, or person with the correct username and password, can login.

If your website is being hosted under Apache webserver, you could use a .htaccess file to restrict access.

A .htaccess file is just a simple text file which you put in the root directory of your website and which contains special instructions for Apache. When used along with a corresponding .htpasswd file, it could be used to password protect a folder of your site or even the entire site itself.

You could use one of many online .htaccess file generators to create the .htaccess and .htpasswd file.

Here are two options, these are the security generators: http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/password/ Or http://www.webmaster-toolkit.com/htacces...ator.shtml
(07-26-2011, 09:46 PM)Teruko Wrote: [ -> ]I think the simple way of doing this would be to stream the feed to a webpage, and then create a login/admin access panel for the site. This way only the admin, or person with the correct username and password, can login.

If your website is being hosted under Apache webserver, you could use a .htaccess file to restrict access.

A .htaccess file is just a simple text file which you put in the root directory of your website and which contains special instructions for Apache. When used along with a corresponding .htpasswd file, it could be used to password protect a folder of your site or even the entire site itself.

You could use one of many online .htaccess file generators to create the .htaccess and .htpasswd file.

Here are two options, these are the security generators: http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/password/ Or http://www.webmaster-toolkit.com/htacces...ator.shtml

I appreciate your help. I am guessing I would have to pay for web hosting wouldn't I? I am not willing to pay any money for me to do this. If I have to pay money then I am just fine the way things are.
hmm, depending on the type of camera you have, some cameras have ports that you can open along with software for your mobile phone so that you can view your camera from your iphone or android. I'm not sure what your setup is exactly, but you can also host your own webserver from your computer and open up ports 80 so that its accessible from the outside.
use xampp I think that's what its called Smile
It should be accessible anyway? Just connect to your IP address, then put :80 at the end.