Support Forums

Full Version: OH GOD!1! I'm at work or school and I'm forced to use a windows box!1!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So if you have a job or you are at school and you are forced to use a windows box, here is a way to make it a little more palatable. This is assuming you have admin rights to your windows box....if you don't have admin rights, well that's a question for another forum ;).

Install Cygwin, it's a mini-linux enviroment you can run on windows. It gives you all the tools you like on linux: ie rsync, scp etc. Plus you can do bash scripting in it, which is more powerful than bat.

Ok, so you might think basically installing an os on your os is a little bit of a kludge, another option, is installing powershell. Powershell is a really nice command line tool that microsoft makes. Sure it won't give you all your wonderous linux tools, but it does give you exposure to WMI hooks. Another way to get to those hooks is through .vbs scripting.

And if all else fails you could just install linux on a virtual machine or use a livecd on the box, and just save your work to a disk.

So I can't really think of anyway else to make windows more bearable...except a hammer.
Oh other tips:
Get putty, you can run it off a flash drive.
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/putty_portable
Then you can remote into a linux box, either your box at home(which you can get a dynamic dns address for if you don't have a static IP), or a rented vps. I use linode.com for my vps solution.
If you want to run X apps remotely you can do so with putty, here's a link to a tutorial:
http://www.math.umn.edu/systems_guide/putty_xwin32.html
very useful, thanks Smile
windows box -1.

Can you please tell that what is windows box-1.
Windows Box:

Google is your best friend Smile.

@ OP thanks for this I'll be using it when I ever get a Windows box
Some nice infomation there BSDPunk, was a nice read thanks! Smile