Support Forums

Full Version: For Dummies I: Sniping with an L96A1(COD)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey guyz and galz, it's Mayhem trying to show you how to use the L96A1 for dummies and nOObs. I will be explaining the weapon and it's usage not only in multiplayer but also in zombies.
(My first tutorial XD)

[Image: 230px-Menu_mp_weapons_l96a1.png]

The L96A1 is a bolt-action sniper rifle. In Black Ops, it is the only bolt-action rifle and is not featured in the Campaign mode.
The damage level of the L96A1 is the highest among all the sniper rifles in Black Ops, making it the best and most used weapon for One Shot Kills. Shooting at the shoulders, stomach, chest or head gives a guaranteed kill in one bullet. While thinking of it's power it's necessary to keep in mind the fact that it has a very high recoil while shooting and sway while scoping making it difficult to get continuous follow up shots. With a silencer on, it's damage is decreased to a point where only shooting the head/neck can get you One Shot Kills making the other sniper-rifles more suited for getting kills. I strongly recommend NOT using the silencer with this weapon.
Moving onto it's statistics:
The L96A1 has a reload speed of 3.3sec(approx.) with some bullets left and without bullets 3.5sec(approx.). Even with a .2 difference reloading when there is on bullet left in the magazine would be a good idea. Speaking of which, the normal magazine of the L96A1 has 5 bullets, 10 with extended mags.

[Image: 124px-AWMscope.png]

As you can clearly see, the reticle is actually clear and spot on and with a clear screen it is visible 100% so there should be no problem taking aim as long as you take aim properly.

There are four main kinds of ways to shoot with a sniper rifle:

1. The Hard Scope - Aim down sight, take aim, Hold breadth and shoot.
2. The Drag Scope - Move scope while aiming down sight, while scoped in keep moving till the reticle falls on the enemy and then shoot.
3. Quick Scope - Kill an enemy without scoping in fully but are about halfway there.
4. No Scope/Free Hand - You kill the enemy without scoping at all.

Out of this, for beginners, The Hard Scope is recommended which will quickly lead to the use of Drag Scopes. While sniping it is NECESSARY, and I mean NECESSARY to stop and then shoot for the best chance to kill someone. Moving and shooting would be like shooting a specific grain of sand in a desert storm. While doing the Hard Scopes and Drag Scopes don't forget to hold your breadth, especially in Drag Scopes since you can't move it up and down too much and not holding your breadth would lead to the scope swaying and missing. In close range combat, don't be afraid to use your secondary if you have to, you're not a nOOb for using it. Even the best use their secondaries when they have to.

In Multiplayer:

The L96A1 is unlocked for purchase at Level 27 for 2000 CODpoints. And has the following attachments along with it:
1. Extended Mag(1000 CODP) - It is popular and preferred due to the fact that you don't need to waste time reloading while shooting someone. 9/10
2. ACOG Scope(2000 CODP) - Another popular attachment due to the fact that it is VERY good close range. If you have this attachment on, it is essential to stop and then shoot or you'll probably NEVER land a bullet. 8/10
3. Infrared Scope(2000 CODP) - Not that much used due to the fact that it can be fooled very easily and hard to concentrate with multiple heat bodies(burning cars etc.) 5/10
4. Suppressor(2000 CODP) - If you're planning on using a sniper rifle w/ silencer. Do NOT use the L96A1. Barely used. 3/10
5. Variable Zoom(2000 CODP) - Another common and popular attachment allowing the user to change the range of the reticle upon will. Three settings - Close, Medium and Long. 9/10

For me, I prefer using either the ACOG or the extended mags.

Strategies for playing with the L96A1?
The best thing to do if you're a beginner is stick to the perimeter of the map and don't go through the middle, EVER. And if you have to then secondaries out and move in.

Zombies:

In the Zombies Mode, the L96A1 can only be obtained through the mystery box. It is a One-Hit Kill until round seven where body shots aren't one shot kills anymore. Though getting headshots are the easiest thing in the world. Many people do not use the L96A1 that much. Here's a video of a guy showing how good a sniper in Zombies can be.(Including launcher gameplay):

He also shows the upgraded L96A1, The "L115 Isolator" where its damage is increased and it receives a Variable Zoom scope, Additionaly it decreases ADS time giving it what some call quick-scope ability. It loses its one-hit-kill ability at Round 22. It has a small magazine and low hip fire accuracy. Even though it's not very practical in terms of surviving, it can kill sort of effectively, even at higher rounds.

Some Pics:

L96A1 w/ ACOG -
[Image: 131px-L96A1_Tiger_SUSAT.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTH-bbs0pl_Zjy_EI9bKOY...AouRwVtfK8]

Hope you Guys liked the tutorial. Leave C&C below XD
nice tutorial awesome share! wish i could have a new not jailbroken ps3.
Cool tutorial here!

I love the way you went above the typical tutorial by showing pictures, and describing sniping methods!
Hope to see more out of you.
Thanks a lot guys, seeing as the first seems to have gone so well, I might try to make some more on other weapons. Any suggestions though? And not only weapons, I could try killstreaks and perks if you want as well.
(07-09-2011, 05:25 AM)Mayhem Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks a lot guys, seeing as the first seems to have gone so well, I might try to make some more on other weapons. Any suggestions though? And not only weapons, I could try killstreaks and perks if you want as well.

Maybe do a whole list of killstreaks. I was going to make a perk tutorial tonight Tongue
(07-09-2011, 05:26 AM)Chick-Fil-A Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe do a whole list of killstreaks. I was going to make a perk tutorial tonight Tongue

Killstreaks? That would be good idea I guess. Okay I guess that's in my to do list. btw, if you're gonna do a perk tutorial, do only a section eg. only perk 1 slot, and give in lots of detail. Oh, and if you're not planning on doing it, tell me. I'll do it XD
HAHA very interesting tutorial. I have never seen anyone describe to people how to "Snipe" before. Well done!
(07-10-2011, 03:07 PM)specizripn Wrote: [ -> ]HAHA very interesting tutorial. I have never seen anyone describe to people how to "Snipe" before. Well done!

Thanks dude. And seriously? You've seen no one show how to snipe? I mean, everyone wants to know how to snipe well really and not many know how to do it properly. So I figured there would be a lot of them. Big Grin But that's good news for me!
Nice tutorial but kind of obvious imo.
Nice tutorial is that all hand typed.
Pages: 1 2 3