Support Forums

Full Version: DDOS Prevention
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hi it's my first post but I suspect not my last Tongue

Well I would like to know a few things and would need to 'support' from you all Big Grin.

Ok I have a web server and was wondering the best way to stop ddos attacks, I have a little knowledge on monitoring but I want to know what everyone else does.

I would like to know the best way to monitor connections and how to block the IP if I suspect it's attacking the site.

Thanks in advanced to anybody who helps.
Try CloudFlare (Google it). SupportForums uses this. Its a simple free solution.
(07-08-2011, 05:20 PM)TheBlackNight Wrote: [ -> ]Try CloudFlare (Google it). SupportForums uses this. Its a simple free solution.

From what I know all that does it stop some attacks and keep your webpage in their cache if your web server goes down.

What I'm looking for is how to monitor the connections from shh. Straight on the webserver not though the site.

I want to:
See the connections
Know what to spot if I'm getting DDOS
Prevent it as much as I can.

I have a script that sorts that stuff out but i would think the best technique is straight from shh.
Well depending on the size of your site, there are companies that offer ddos protection, but it doesn't come cheap. They monitor for major spikes in traffic and packets received, and make adjustments for you when attacked to keep your site up. This is not cheap however, and is only utilized by large websites with extensive profet. If you own a large amount of servers there is equipment that goes in each cabinet to do the same thing as these providers, and it monitors everything. This again is very expensive and only for large companies. My dads company uses these and they are very effective, but he is the CFO of a company worth over $50 million, so its a bit larger than the average persons website... If your asking the question on this board im guessing you are not a corporation, and I suggest you go with the cloud, like TheBlackNight stated, because it's free and pretty effective!
Free ddos prevention tools usually won't help unless your getting hit with a small net. But if you need prevention for a large site it's gonna cost a bit Sad
You can purchase DDOS firewall from your hosting provider
Cloudflare doesn't protect it fully, at least with the free version. Try the upgraded pack.
Well my home connection automatically firewalls malicious IPs if they tend to be sending a lot of packets.
(07-16-2011, 07:04 PM)Blic Wrote: [ -> ]Well my home connection automatically firewalls malicious IPs if they tend to be sending a lot of packets.

Mine also does this, CloudFare is very good for DDOS Prevention though.
some hosts have built in ddos protection.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5