Support Forums

Full Version: I'm pissed.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, this is why i hate windows. My computer was doing a disk check, and wouldent you know i had a power failure? Yeah, well now during boot screen, the bar moves back and fourth about twice. The BSOD for a fraction of a second, and back to GRUB. Anything i can do? I have some important crap on there. I could live with out it, but i would rather not lol
I can't boot in safe mode eather. If you are just going to say reformat, don't bother. I'm looking for a way around that. Thanks.
Got another computer? Shove your hard drive in there then grab all the data off it. Save to some other memory source then reformat the stuffed drive. When you're done copy all data over to the fresh drive.
I know you didn't want to format, but at least I'm offering a way to recover the data!

Good luck!
Well, my problem is that i'm on a laptop. I know of programs that allow you to access ubuntu files from XP, but is there a program that allows you to vies XP files from ubuntu? And i will eventually have to reformat, i'm just looking to save some data.
Hello;

I recommend a re-installation of Windows. Do you have the CD that came with your computer?

-LS
You can probably recover the drive using a number of fix it tools. r-drive studio is one of the best imho. Really it's going to depend on how screwed up it really is.
I'm not really sure what's wrong with it as i don't have much expierence with microsoft OS's. All i know is that i can't boot. Could you post some names of these tools?
(10-22-2009, 06:21 PM)ktmrider530 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, my problem is that i'm on a laptop. I know of programs that allow you to access ubuntu files from XP, but is there a program that allows you to vies XP files from ubuntu? And i will eventually have to reformat, i'm just looking to save some data.

I have used ubuntu to access files on a laptop I've found...
The laptop had XP installed and password for default Admin and the user that was on it.
Just boot up Ubuntu cd and select "Try out Ubuntu without installing"
I was able to access all files on the harddrive.

And if you already have it on dual boot, the files are in "host" directory I belive.
Thanks ninja, i will be sure to give that a try.
Yeah, I was also going to suggest what NinjaGeek said, and boot with a Linux based disk, so you can bypass the safe-mode restriction.

I know that Kaspersky does a Linux based rescue disk, which scans for viruses as well, but does allow you to access the files as well.

It was released in June this year, which may be some months old, but there are also other products on their site which are just a few days old,
but I'm not sure which OS they run under at the moment, but the one I am just downloading looks like a Windows based file, it's an AV tool.

http://www.techmixer.com/kaspersky-rescu...using-dos/

It says on the page, that the disk is DOS-based, but I have run it before and it was Linux.

There are other boot disks avaiable for Windows at:

www.bootdisk.com

They have all types of disks for different OS's there, so maybe one may help you out, if you don't find anything else.

BTW - You don't really need to format, I would never suggest that, just install Windows onto a new partiton,
or onto an existing Windows partiton, but into a new folder called for example, Windows1, which will install non-destructively, leaving your previous installation intact.
Well, after playing around a bit i realised i don't even need the live disk. I have a dual boot partition with ubuntu and xp and i can view them all from ubuntu. Thanks guys, you were all a great help.

/Thread.