Support Forums

Full Version: I can't upgrade my cpu-need help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello Everyone,

I need to upgrade my cpu to a better performance one. I went to the nearest computer shop for cpu upgrade and the technician said that it cant be ugraded because my motherboard is old... is that actually true?

Isn't there any way to upgrade my cpu without changing motherboard?

Here are my system specs:

P4 3.06 GHz 512kb cache, 1.5G RAM, 256 MB VRAM
Intel 845GV-M3
Motherboard Name ECS 845GV-M3
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 478

Hope someone support me with a good solution.

Thank you.
yes.. new motherboards have different socket for the CPU fan.. if you want to upgrade to Dual Core or Higher, you need new board with the present standard for cpus..
Thank you dongblues, but damn that will cost me more, i will then need to upgrade everything. :/
my moderboard asus p5kplm something cost only 2500 Philippine Peso $50 American.. its quite cheap.. you may also need to replace your ram it should be DDR2 for new boards.. haha.. expensive.. If you want to save just upgrade your ram..
buying a graphics card also helps without the need to replace cpu.. I recommend 1gb GEForce.. it helps remove load from your ram..
Allright, if i want to change my motherboard, what else do i need to upgrade other than RAMs? like, do i need to change hard disk, power supply, video card(agp),etc?

Thanx for the quick reply
hmm.. i recently upgraded mine.. 500gb hard disk, 2gb DDR2 Ram, Dual COre, 1gb GEForce, DVD Drive.. the only only one left untouched is the atx case, i also replaced the powersupply.. its like buying a new one.. huhu..

If you change board and cpu change ram, and buy dvd drive.. that's all.. it will say you need to format the old hard disk.. just repair it to keep your files intack or back them up..
(10-22-2009, 06:24 AM)4u111 Wrote: [ -> ]Allright, if i want to change my motherboard, what else do i need to upgrade other than RAMs? like, do i need to change hard disk, power supply, video card(agp),etc?

Thanx for the quick reply

the video card, hard disk, and power supply would be fine.. unless you want another hard disk that is sata the power supply need not be changed..

by the way.. new board have inboard video card.. but are still slow.. if you want real time speed, my above specs is recommended if you have low budget.. it only cost me $300..
I suggest to buy at least 450W power supply, and u need to change your video card because yours probably AGP and if u buy new motherboard u will need PCI. HDD choice is up to u, hovever i suggest about min. 320GB
mmm allright thank you, ebay is my friend now..

appreciate your quick help..
(10-22-2009, 06:41 AM)-=[CyberHR]=- Wrote: [ -> ]I suggest to buy at least 450W power supply, and u need to change your video card because yours probably AGP and if u buy new motherboard u will need PCI. HDD choice is up to u, hovever i suggest about min. 320GB

600w is needed if your pc is open all day.. i think his video card is fine.. mine still fits before i upgraded everything.. but yes, new video card is a must.. haha.. i already have 500gb hard disk sata.. its cheap now... $50..
I have 500W and all is ok Smile i wass suggesting cheapest way Smile and why whe need change power supply if he want new sata hdd?
Pages: 1 2 3