Support Forums

Full Version: Worried about my new job!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ekt

So today I got hired for my first job! I'm going to be a cashier at a grocery store and I start in three weeks Smile Well, at first I was really excited to make money over the summer, but then I started to get nervous. I'm not nervous about the actual job because I have experience working on cash. What I'm really nervous about is the people. Every time I go into the store, all the people working there look as if they're in their 20's, and I'm only 15! Plus, I'm not the most social person... I have friends and we hang out, but I just don't go out as much as some people do. I'm really bad at talking to guys, and they're never interested in me. I don't have great self esteem so I think to guys I come across as shy and awkward. I'm really worried that I'm going to be the loner at work who has no one to talk to! Also, we get a 30 minute break during our shift to eat lunch, and I'm really worried that I'll have to eat it by myself while everyone else eats together Sad please help, advice from people who have worked at grocery stores or as cashiers would be great! I don't want to be this nervous for three weeks! I want to enjoy the first bit of my summer before I have to work Smile thankss, and sorry this is so long haha
(06-25-2011, 08:07 PM)ekt Wrote: [ -> ]
So today I got hired for my first job! I'm going to be a cashier at a grocery store and I start in three weeks Smile Well, at first I was really excited to make money over the summer, but then I started to get nervous. I'm not nervous about the actual job because I have experience working on cash. What I'm really nervous about is the people. Every time I go into the store, all the people working there look as if they're in their 20's, and I'm only 15! Plus, I'm not the most social person... I have friends and we hang out, but I just don't go out as much as some people do. I'm really bad at talking to guys, and they're never interested in me. I don't have great self esteem so I think to guys I come across as shy and awkward. I'm really worried that I'm going to be the loner at work who has no one to talk to! Also, we get a 30 minute break during our shift to eat lunch, and I'm really worried that I'll have to eat it by myself while everyone else eats together Sad please help, advice from people who have worked at grocery stores or as cashiers would be great! I don't want to be this nervous for three weeks! I want to enjoy the first bit of my summer before I have to work Smile thankss, and sorry this is so long haha

They will (or should) share their experiences of working as a cashier. They will teach you how to work the sift and run the necessary computers.

In about a month you will have the whole routine down and out, and you wont have to worry about anymore. Just don't Screw Up. Impress your boss not upset himOui
(06-25-2011, 08:13 PM)mrnapolean1 Wrote: [ -> ]They will (or should) share their experiences of working as a cashier. They will teach you how to work the sift and run the necessary computers.

In about a month you will have the whole routine down and out, and you wont have to worry about anymore. Just don't Screw Up. Impress your boss not upset himOui

Yeah, since you're going to be the "new kid" there most likely will be someone who is going to teach you about the job. Don't be shy, just try and talk to people.
They should accept you how you are,if they don't don't worry at all!Just do what you have to do,your work and then hang out with some real friends.
When you say the people do you mean the customers or the other employees? Because if it is the customers you shouldn't be too worried. Most people won't be interested in starting a conversation. They are all satisfied with the "Hello, how are you today?" "Fine thanks." "Good." If you are talking about the other employees try to remember that you are not paid to talk to other people (excluding customers). And you said that you are not a very social person so does that mean you're alright eating alone?

You should be alright, I am sure they will all be interested in talking to you. Be friendly, and don't feel like you have to live up to any standard of theirs.
Don't be shy. Just jump into it and hit the ground running.
You'll be fine! Just act confident even if you aren't and people will respect you. Any 15 year old with the willingness to start working immediately gains respect right there.

If you do make a fluke or two, people will understand.

A good tip to socializing is to be optimistic and confident. Make jokes with the other employees, and share ideas or thoughts with them. Listen to what they have to say. You don't have to jump into being very social also. You can start small and get into a deep conversation with one guy and then just move around and gain acquaintances which will eventually turn into friendships.

Socialize with other who are aloof as well.

Last but not least, be honest to them. Lying will have you lose all of your respect and no one likes a liar.

Good luck and congratulation on the job!
Couldnt agree more
Simple answer, don't worry you should be fine+
I dont understand, this is just an embarrassing, or strange to you OP?