Support Forums

Full Version: Upgrade from Vista home premium to 7 professional...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I go out and buy Windows 7 professional full version like a good boy, I fork out my $400 and now I get this crap when I try and perform a simple upgrade:

Quote:Windows Vista™ Home Premium cannot be upgraded to Windows 7 Professional. You can choose to install a new copy of Windows 7 Professional instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings, and programs. You’ll need to reinstall any programs using the original installation discs or files. To save your files before installing Windows, back them up to an external location such as a CD, DVD, or external hard drive. To install a new copy of Windows 7 Professional, click the Back button in the upper left-hand corner, and select “Custom (advanced)”.

I will just install a clean version later on but that is not practical at this time so is there any way to get around this bs?
probs not i think only windows vista home primum can be upgraded to window 7 what eva it is any way if you want to install best idea is to wipe your hard drive and intsall it from there cause you would have to install drivers and programs again
No way to get around it, sorry.

You can only upgrade Premium to Premium and so forth. Yes, it's dumb.

Anyway, there are some good programs that will backup all of your files for you onto an ext. drive. No time for links right now but if you want them PM me.
If you want professional get an upgrade from vista premium to vista professional and then upgrade to 7 professional.
(10-23-2009, 05:19 AM)MreGSX Wrote: [ -> ]No way to get around it, sorry.

You can only upgrade Premium to Premium and so forth. Yes, it's dumb.

Anyway, there are some good programs that will backup all of your files for you onto an ext. drive. No time for links right now but if you want them PM me.

http://www.futureshop.ca/LearnMore/image...ons_en.jpg

According to the Windows 7 Upgrade path on this chart. For Vista Home Prem. you can do in-place upgrade to both W7 home premium AND Ultimate.
(10-29-2009, 07:58 PM)InsideSin Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.futureshop.ca/LearnMore/image...ons_en.jpg

According to the Windows 7 Upgrade path on this chart. For Vista Home Prem. you can do in-place upgrade to both W7 home premium AND Ultimate.

That may be true but only for Ultimate and Premium. I'm not sure why they would do that for Ultimate and not Professional... So dumb...

Anyway, the review on Cnet said what I had said above. I normally do and recommend a clean install always so I don't worry about it. All of your files (music, pictures, ect.) are kept in a windows.old folder so it's not that big of a deal really.

You just gotta download some of your programs ect. They're all there in windows.old, but the registry keys aren't entered so it's kind of annoying. I just delete windows.old after I grab my music/pictures.
I have too many programs installed so it's too bothersome to take a week to re-install them all. Most I have lost the serials and CD's for.
thats what google is for!
Can we upgrade from windows home premium 32bit to W7 Ultimate 32bit in - place, does it save ur folders , data etc that way?
I guess in-place takes less time, just put ur disc in and go ?
You can clean install windows 7 on any Windows OS and all of your old Windows folders will be kept in windows.old. Everything will be there. However, registry keys ect. for various programs will not.
Pages: 1 2