Support Forums

Full Version: Result of Mental Abuse or Just Overreacting?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My parents have screamed and yelled at me all my life. It is about anything, not just the "normal" things that parents would scream about. They do it towards how I live my life (Although I do what they want), they do it towards what music I listen to (Even though I try to keep my musical opinions away from theirs.), and a lot of other things that are just stupid to scream at someone about.

Now due to this, I have the need to cry when I get screamed at by anyone. I have talked to counselors about this problem and they agree that it is because of my parents.

I'm just wondering, is this the result of some sort of mental abuse or me just overreacting due to events in my past?

This is also a thread for me to vent in because this just happened... Again...
You are most likely a more sensitive personality type than your parents are. Therefore, it is difficult for them to understand someone who is not, which creates roadblocks in your relationship with them.

You are definitely not overreacting, and it is most likely a result of mental abuse. While this is fine, you should go through some "behavioral therapy" to try and curb this habit. This could lead to you becoming an open target in any argument.

Don't be ashamed, just look to the future. Show your parents that you can overcome their hostility.
Yep. I agree. Even if you are a little sensitive, I don't think parents should scream at their kids about everything.
Well, I wouldn't exactly call it mental abuse. Perhaps you've become a little emotionally unstable or sensitive. Also, can you explain what exactly 'screaming' at you entails? Give us a situation you've been in and what they've done. Describe it in as much detail as possible.

I do think the issue is because of your parents, however I won't know until you paint a slightly better picture for me. Can you also describe what you feel when someone else 'screams' at you? Does this happen when you're in trouble and might be scared? Or is this just when you're yelled at? Are the tears controllable?

What did the therapists tell you to do?
Parent shouldn't scream at theier kid for no random reason Sad
(06-21-2011, 04:01 AM)King Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I wouldn't exactly call it mental abuse. Perhaps you've become a little emotionally unstable or sensitive. Also, can you explain what exactly 'screaming' at you entails? Give us a situation you've been in and what they've done. Describe it in as much detail as possible.

I do think the issue is because of your parents, however I won't know until you paint a slightly better picture for me. Can you also describe what you feel when someone else 'screams' at you? Does this happen when you're in trouble and might be scared? Or is this just when you're yelled at? Are the tears controllable?

What did the therapists tell you to do?
Heres a more recent situation:
My brother begins to harass me in front of my mom and girlfriend. He is 12, most people think it is normal, but he does it 24/7 and uses things about ne yhat have caused me trouble in life, but thats besides the point. My broher is harassing me, i tell him constantly to stop. As he contines, I eventually become tired of ut and say something to my parents. They dexide it is my fault and scream at me for what he did.

When someone screams at me: i fell an urge to quit living (suicide) but i will not go through wih it. I also feel helpless, scared, and sad.

It happens at any time I am yelled at. And he tears are bairly controllable. Usually they are not.

The therapists told me that i have had a hard life due to my parenrs and that they should be in therapy, not me.

(06-21-2011, 06:55 PM)CrzYMikE Wrote: [ -> ]Heres a more recent situation:
My brother begins to harass me in front of my mom and girlfriend. He is 12, most people think it is normal, but he does it 24/7 and uses things about ne yhat have caused me trouble in life, but thats besides the point. My broher is harassing me, i tell him constantly to stop. As he contines, I eventually become tired of ut and say something to my parents. They dexide it is my fault and scream at me for what he did.

When someone screams at me: i fell an urge to quit living (suicide) but i will not go through wih it. I also feel helpless, scared, and sad.

It happens at any time I am yelled at. And he tears are bairly controllable. Usually they are not.

The therapists told me that i have had a hard life due to my parenrs and that they should be in therapy, not me.

May I ask how old you are?
(06-21-2011, 08:23 PM)King Wrote: [ -> ]May I ask how old you are?
I am 17 years old.
This is not overreacting. You've been abused verbally by your parents since you've been a child, and now you don't like it when you get screamed at. It's not good that they constantly do this.
Even though it's not as severe as what you're describing, my fiance went through something quite similar when he was younger and living with his parents. They would constantly belittle and yell at him for the decisions he made and how he acted. They would even call him stupid for how he dressed and the music he listened to. Because of how they treated him then, he's very sensitive now and his self esteem is very low. He hasn't lived with them in over 7 years, but he's still affected by how they treated him and he probably always will be.

I don't believe you're overreacting at all. This is an issue you need to address and try to work through with the counselors you said you've talked to. If your parents are up for it, maybe they could go to a therapy session with you. Have you talked to them about how they make you feel? If not, they might be completely clueless on how you feel about it. It really does sound like you're more sensitive than they are so they could have no idea about what they're doing to you.
Pages: 1 2