Support Forums

Full Version: Business Tips, to succeed at a job.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is a resume & how do I write one?

Resume is a very important and effective job search tool. The majority of employees expect all
applicants to have a resume available.
From your point of view, the resume purpose is to provide the employers with a brief summary of
your skills and abilities, employment history, educational background and career goals and interests.
From the employers point of view, the resume.
Resume is basically a decision to get interviewed by the employers. It isn't only the resume though
that determines who will be hired, it is a combination of your application, resume and performance.
There are some jobs that do not require a resume, however, the majority of available nowa days, it
won't hurt to have one.
It never hurts to be over prepared.
But it's your choice to decide is one is necassary for you in your particular field or the level of that field.

Several different types/ways of resume formats:

Type of resume you use depends on the level of experience you have and what you want to
emphasize in your background. There is very little reason why a resume would hurt the chances of
getting you a job, but will help getting the job you really want.

Prepare a resume, and have copies available whenever your on a job search.

Basic styles -

Chronological, skills oriented, recent grad., accomplishments, professional and creative.
Use a style that best suits your requirements. Make sure your resume is written in a clear, consise
manner and printed on high quality paper. Use a professional copy service or laser printer.

Keep your resume at one page if at all possible, employers usually will not take the time to read several
different papers. When listing recent background information (education wise), list the most recent (college, if that.)
State your skills and abilities, interms or accomplishment and results.
Choose words that reflect your skills. All resumes should include your personal information and position you want.
If you have to go to college, you can set it as a goal on your resume.
Tailor up your resume as much as possible, make it look nice and impressing. Organize it.
Put it anywhere and everywhere you can, so you don't lose it and have to start over (usb.)
Never send a resume in without a cover letter (below are some examples.)
If you get an interview for an application, without turning in a resume, I would recommend taking one
with you to the interview.

Cover letter example -

(1)First Last name
(2)Address
(3)City/State/Zip
(4)Date

(5)Person your writing too
(6)Thier position
(7)Company Name
(8)Company Address
(9)City/State/Zip

Dear (5),

Example message: In June 2014, I will be graduating from the University of California, Irvine with a degree of
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering. I am writing to explore the possibility of employment as a control
systems engineer, at your San Diego facility.
And so on.... until the end.
Example conclusion: I have enclosed my resume which provides additional information about my undergraduate work
and campus activities. I would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you to dicuss how my
educational experience would be consistent with your needs. I will contact you by phone within ten days to
discuss the possibility of an interview.

Sincerely,

(1)

Useful tips -

- Write it in pen/computer
- Answer every question that applies to you (if one doesn't, don't leave blank, add a --- there or write n/a)
- Spell everything correctly, no grammar or puncuation mistakes.
- Be prepared to list your references and schools.

Tips to be successful on that interview -

- Interview personnel are selected because they have specialized training in the interview process.
- Don't lie, they always find out different.
- Drive to the building (place of interview) the night before.
- The next day, make sure to arrive 10-15 minutes before.
- Don't smile the whole time and tap your leg.
- Act enthusiastic.
- Dress professional, suit, tie etc.

What the employer may expect from you as the employee -

Cooperation -
The employer who pays your salary has a right to expect your full cooperation. Get along with the people you will have to work with etc.

Honesty -
Employers will expect you to be honest. Don't steal, cheat, come late etc.

Willingness to learn -
Your willingness to learn can be a problem for older workers.
You need to follow the instructions (if any are given) to succeed.

What you can expect from your employer -

- Your employer WILL pay your salary for the work you do.
- Introductions are given to the top employees usually, the rest you will do so on your own.
- Safe working conditions
- Information on any changes, like salary loss/gain, over time etc.
- Discipline if you do not meet the standards and follow the rules.

Hopefully this helps.

-- Positive --
Nice detailed thread, we call it a CV here but I'm pretty sure it works the same way. Will certainly help me as I'm currently looking for a part time job so thanks.
very indepth and yea as brian said its called a CV in UK. This will defo help in some way, thanks for this