Support Forums

Full Version: [English] Homework Help Pleassse [Finals]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can anyone help me write an outline or some key points for my final exam? I'd appreciate it!. I just don't really know how to connect the paragraphs. Here is off our review sheet:

"Essay Question: 50%
Write an essay in which you trace the growth of American literature from its inception in Puritan New England through the present. Reference at least five of the major movements, showing how each movement shaped the writing of that period and/or subsequent periods. Discuss how each movement was a reaction to preceding movements and/or to historical events. Make reference to at least two specific pieces of literature from each period, and connect the works to them by explaining how they are representative of literature from that time.

The Movements We’ve Covered:
1. The Early Americans/Puritans
-Fiction- The Scarlet Letter
-Non-Fiction- Of Plymouth Plantation, A Narrative of Captivity, Equiano, Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God.
-Poetry- “Upon the Burning of Our House” and “The Flesh and the Spirit”
-Drama- The Crucible (but I wouldn’t use this one because it was written during the 20th century even though it’s set in Puritan times.)

2. The Revolutionaries
-Non-Fiction- Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry, and Thomas Paine

3. The Romantics *(Transcendentalism, Gothicism, and New American Poetry [Whitman and Dickinson] were sub-movements of the Romantic Movement).
-Fiction- Huck Finn, “Rip Van Winkle,” “Masque of Red Death”
-Non-Fiction- from Nature (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
-Poetry- “Thanatopsis,” “The Tide Rises, the Tide Falls,” “A Cross of Snow,” “The Raven,” “I Hear America Singing,” “Song of Myself 10,” “Dying,” “The Soul Selects her own Society”

4. The Realists
-Fiction- “A Mystery of Heroism” (short story about the soldier who spilled water)

5. The Moderns
-Fiction- “His Father’s Earth,” “Walter Mitty,” “A Worn Path,” “Soldier’s Home,” “Good Country People,” “The Life You Save…,” “A Rose for Emily,” The Great Gatsby
-Poetry- Pound, Eliot, Cummings, Robinson, Williams, Frost"

Thanks!