Support Forums

Full Version: Protein Shakes necessary?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all!
I've been going to the gym for about a month or so now and have never drank a protein shake in my life.
Everybody else at the gym drinks them and I was wondering- are they really necessary? If not "necessary" how much do they really help in muscle gain?

All help appreceiated,
101 Thumbsup
It depends on what you are trying to do. The main purpose of a protein shake is rebuild your muscles after working out. Depending on what you are trying to accomplish will decide which type of protein you should take. If you are wanting to put on muscle, I would definitely taking Whey Protein ATLEAST after you work out.
Thanks but would want more opinions (no offence).
Also I've heard about people actually getting fat off of these :S
Don't drink protein shakes unless you are working out or you just finished. The only way you'll get fat from them is if you drink them like water. They aren't nessecary, but they are reccommended if you're doing some intense workouts.
(05-15-2011, 11:14 AM)Amp™ Wrote: [ -> ]Don't drink protein shakes unless you are working out or you just finished. The only way you'll get fat from them is if you drink them like water. They aren't nessecary, but they are reccommended if you're doing some intense workouts.

What an incorrect post, sorry but your body needs just as much protein to rebuild and repair muscle on your days off as it does on your workout days.

Protein shakes help simply because a lot of people have trouble getting in enough protein to meet their required amount for the day, if you don't have that issue then don't worry about it.

The amount of protein you need in a day is often debated back and forth but for someone building muscle it is generally agreed upon that you need 1 gram protein per pound of bodyweight per day, or more.
NO dude you dont want to drink those shakes. My close friend started drinking one of those and in the beginning he started getting good shape by working n drinking but then later on his body was all fudged up.
(05-15-2011, 06:37 PM)Tunasty™ Wrote: [ -> ]NO dude you dont want to drink those shakes. My close friend started drinking one of those and in the beginning he started getting good shape by working n drinking but then later on his body was all fudged up.

Protein doesn't have a negative affect on your body unless you abuse it.
(05-15-2011, 06:39 PM)Deltron Wrote: [ -> ]Protein doesn't have a negative affect on your body unless you abuse it.

I dont know about that but i know he had some really bad issues. It could have been because of overdose but it happened
I weigh 70 kilograms. How much protein should I have?

I go to school and this is what I have-
Recess- small can of tuna, yoghurt and juice
Lunch- medium.large can of tuna slices + chicken pieces or steak pieces
After school- go gym
Dinner- red meat such as lamb chops etc.

(05-16-2011, 03:12 AM)101 Wrote: [ -> ]I weigh 70 kilograms. How much protein should I have?

I go to school and this is what I have-
Recess- small can of tuna, yoghurt and juice
Lunch- medium.large can of tuna slices + chicken pieces or steak pieces
After school- go gym
Dinner- red meat such as lamb chops etc.

154lbs so around 154 grams of protein every day, the meals you mentioned would probably only be around 100 grams, hard to say without exact measurements of how much you're eating of each.

You could benefit from 2 shakes a day to get that extra 50 grams or so., or of course you could simply add another meal in there wherever to make up for that.
Pages: 1 2