Support Forums

Full Version: No Hibernation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My computer will not hibernate, it just shutdown, and I loss everything. Yes, I have my Computer set to hibernate when it's battery dies.
Why can't you save your items to a flash drive? Or put the computer on 'Sleep'?
(04-27-2011, 02:18 PM)Chick-Fil-A Wrote: [ -> ]Why can't you save your items to a flash drive? Or put the computer on 'Sleep'?

I put it to sleep and it's battery dies and it's suppose to hibernate, not unproperly shutdown.
Hibernation still takes up battery power, are you sure you have sufficient battery power to keep it from shutting down after hibernation or sleep mode?

There's lots of reported problems with hibernation mode anyway. I just turned it off on my computer. Why don't you save the information to your computer and just go through the time of rebooting it later? Vista's hibernation is still buggy.

If you want to save battery power, enable a different power setting. There's usually 3 options: Performance, balanced, and energy saver.
Normally when I put my computer to sleep, it's battery power is 100%, and I thought Hibernation was just saving your session in a temporary file or other file type and shutdown the computer. Also, It's hard to save my browsing session when my browser only saves the last closed window's session, unless it's unproperly shutdown.
(04-27-2011, 03:40 PM)Aelita Wrote: [ -> ]Normally when I put my computer to sleep, it's battery power is 100%, and I thought Hibernation was just saving your session in a temporary file or other file type and shutdown the computer. Also, It's hard to save my browsing session when my browser only saves the last closed window's session, unless it's unproperly shutdown.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean. Are you putting your computer in Hibernation mode? or sleep mode then? You mention both in that post, but first you said it was hibernation mode. Hibernation mode will power off your computer, but keep a memory of the stuff you previously had open. Sleep mode is similar, but it consumes battery power.

Sorry for the misunderstanding in the last post, I was wrong, I meant to state that Hibernation mode takes a snapshot of the stuff you had on your computer running at the time you put it into hibernation mode, and powers off your computer, whereas sleep mode, only keeps a few things running on your computer, but still consumes power throughout the time you have it 'sleeping'.

I still need to understand whether you're sure that you put it into sleep mode or hibernation mode though. Sleep mode will not keep your data available on wake up, but hibernation mode will, and will seem that your computer powers off.

If it's a laptop though, they usually shutdown because they overheat, otherwise some will restart. That's why I don't use laptops, and I would never recommend keeping a laptop on. Desktops are different.
I put it into sleep mode, and it puts it's self into sleep mode when the lid is closed, It shuts down most of the time but some of the time it hibernates.
When I restart my Laptop after it shutdown, I see that the battery meter says that my battery is at critical level, and charging (because I plug it in when it's off and I didn't turn it off, just in case it is at critical).
You said that you put it into hibernation mode at first, which is what confused me. Sleep mode is not a powering off option for your computer, ONLY hibernation mode. The only difference is that Sleep mode will not retain some of your previous data, since it will close any unnecessary programs I believe. I'm not too sure about Vista, but Windows 7 which is what i'm running has a Hybrid sleep mode which is designed more for desktops than laptops. But it's a combination of sleep and hibernation.

Hibernation is designed for laptops though, not sleepmode.
OK, I am going to say that your computer is not hibernating because the feature is disabled, and the code that is generated does not know what to do to react to hibernation disabled when attempting to hibernate your computer after it is really low on battery.

If you would like to re-enable hibernation on your computer, download this application Shutdown Timer v2.5 (made by me) (100% safe Tongue).

Next, open and extract the file to your desktop for easy use.

Right click the application and run it as an administrator.

Then go to the Hibernate Option Feature and Hit "Enable Hibernation" as demonstrated below:
[Image: 5eebbb76f7dc45f835c36827e2ca435d.png]

This should prevent future data loss my friend.

I am extremely sorry to hear that you lost some important information. You can Recover that information/deleted files by using Recuva.
Try the thing the high roller suggested.
Note, your OS could be messed up aswell.
Pages: 1 2