Support Forums

Full Version: How to Make a Directory and Database Backup of Your Website
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you have just a website with no MySQL database you need a Directory Backup. If you have a forum or MySQL Database you will need a Database Backup. If you have both, obviously you will need both.

Directory Backup
This one is pretty easy. Simply login into FTP (use this tutorial to learn about that) and simply highlight every folder and drag it to your Desktop. This is all you need to do. Think of the directory backup as the body of the website, and the Database as the brain.

Database Backup
1. Login into cpanel and under Databases find "PhpMyAdmin"
[Image: c5ebb272be974f67025d78750ebd38fb.png]
2. On the left, click your database name. Mine would be laughinginc_mybb
[Image: 3d1ac5d6a26bcff4b1f7c8766c4a7185.png]
3. On the top, click Export.
[Image: 815a0eb76fe7e11710ee3009a5133185.png]
4. Click "Select All" then simply hit "Go" at the bottom
[Image: aa9e0798815b786c14f0aeb3fc1c1837.png]

You're done! Backing up is very important and you should do it very often just incase something goes wrong. Don't learn the hard way, trust me.
Nice and detailed, fairly good job on this little walkthrough. Although if you just have a regular website, all you need to do is export the files from your website through ftp. Most people make forums here though, so this would help most of the members here.

I have yet to see a website that doesn't contain a forum yet though in the website reviews area on SF Smile

Quote:This one is pretty easy. Simply login into FTP (use this tutorila to learn about that)

lol tutorila haha
Lol my bad on the typo. And yeah I wrote that other tutorial, too :3

edit:
Fixed
Nice Tutorial, detailed and easy it will surely help newbies.
Lol i remember when i first time created a wp blog 4 years back, i was like wtf is database lol
I needed something like this as im building my new site and will for sure be backing it up.
(06-22-2011, 12:21 AM)Black Shadow Wrote: [ -> ]I needed something like this as im building my new site and will for sure be backing it up.

Unless your forum uses a mysql database this will do no good. The title should have been a bit more specific on that, as not all sites need a mysql database. It's usually forums that people create though here.
Just spreading the knowledge..