Support Forums

Full Version: Replacing internal HDD i/o error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

I recently tried to replace the hard drive on my laptop and reinstall windows 7 but I received an error:
Quote:Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.
This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.
If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.
Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.
I tried rebooting with the windows installation disc in with no HDDs in the machine and I got the same error. This must mean that the PC is not communicating with my new HDD right?
I don't know how to fix this. Any help please?

I have a Dell Latitude d620 laptop and a Seagate 160 GB Momentus 7200.2 HDD
Try reinstalling Windows.
Did you check compatibility before you stuck a new HD into your computer? Why didn't you just use an external.. Omg
(04-23-2011, 10:38 AM)aggouras Wrote: [ -> ]Try reinstalling Windows.
Are you serious?
(04-23-2011, 10:40 AM)Scalise Wrote: [ -> ]Did you check compatibility before you stuck a new HD into your computer? Why didn't you just use an external.. Omg
I know that the hdd is compatible because another guy used the exact same model hd for the exact same model laptop. And what do you mean use an external? That defeats the purpose og replacing the hdd in the first place.

Maybe a circuit problem?
Did you touch any wires?
(05-29-2011, 08:53 PM)Black Ghost Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe a circuit problem?
Did you touch any wires?

It is a laptop. So it is kinda impossible to touch any wires.
(06-04-2011, 01:40 AM)Annuit Coeptis Wrote: [ -> ]It is a laptop. So it is kinda impossible to touch any wires.
Your HDD could be shot, happens a lot with desktops. Did you try the old drive and did it work?
Again, it is not a desktop. It is a laptop. And I did try it with the old hard drive and it still didn't work. I know that the windows disc isn't bad because I used it on another computer. And my optical drive seems to be okay because I can boot from other discs (like ubuntu live cd) and I can use it to read cds and dvds and such.