Support Forums

Full Version: .Net Coding Challenge #4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Challenge: Support Forums Snake
End date: May 1st, 2011
Details: Recreate the classic game "Snake", only the theme of the game must be Support Forums. This can be interpreted in any way you decide. For example, you could use the Support Forums feather as food for the snake. Just be creative!
(For those that don't know what Snake is, have a look here:
http://www.snakegame.net/ )

Requirements: The game only needs to be basic..
There must be 3 difficulty levels of "Slow", "Medium", and "Fast".
There must be a score counter, and a separate menu showing the top 3 high scores.

Optional: Feel free to add sound effects, or any visual effects. Make it as complicated, or as basic as you like.

How to enter:
Enter by responding to this thread stating are going to attempt this challenge. Do not PM me.

How to submit:
Submit by using a spoiler tag to hide you submission. Include a screen shot, the source code in {code} tags, a download link to the project. (Optional but preferred)

Choosing a winner:
If you complete this.. then you are a winner. This is not a contest to see who 'coded the best'. This is a challenge to see if you can complete it. Visual is Optional, but it will make your program look nice to the SF community.

Disclaimer:
This is meant to be fun and constructive. By submitting your code for this challenge you agree not to get butt-hurt if somebody criticizes your work. Take the criticism, learn from it, and move on. Also, all comments made should be constructive. NO FLAMING ALLOWED. All flaming attempts will be reported.

To everyone: Good luck.

Submissions:

(04-19-2011, 10:37 AM)Fragma Wrote: [ -> ]Challenge: Support Forums Snake

And you said the first challenge was hard Wacko. I think this one will be the most challenging yet.

(04-19-2011, 10:59 AM)KoBE Wrote: [ -> ]And you said the first challenge was hard Wacko. I think this one will be the most challenging yet.

It's not that difficult lol.. It will hopefully be the most fun challenge yet. Smile
(04-19-2011, 11:00 AM)Fragma Wrote: [ -> ]It's not that difficult lol.. It will hopefully be the most fun challenge yet. Smile

I thought the MD5 challenge was fun lol, and PigLatin wasn't too bad either, I just don't have a use for it. I don't think i'll be using this one too much if I created it either, but it would be a cool little app.

We'll see if I have time to make a decent game, then i'll try and give it a shot.
(04-19-2011, 11:04 AM)Infinity Wrote: [ -> ]I thought the MD5 challenge was fun lol, and PigLatin wasn't too bad either, I just don't have a use for it. I don't think i'll be using this one too much if I created it either, but it would be a cool little app.

We'll see if I have time to make a decent game, then i'll try and give it a shot.

I meant the outcome will be more fun. Tongue
Also there's something really exciting about coding your own game.
I get a real sense of achievement. Whereas I don't really feel much when coding any other desktop application, unless I code something that I feel will be really beneficial to me.
Coding games can be quite different to coding any other application, and when you see it coming together, it's a really good feeling.
(04-19-2011, 11:12 AM)Fragma Wrote: [ -> ]I meant the outcome will be more fun. Tongue
Also there's something really exciting about coding your own game.
I get a real sense of achievement. Whereas I don't really feel much when coding any other desktop application, unless I code something that I feel will be really beneficial to me.
Coding games can be quite different to coding any other application, and when you see it coming together, it's a really good feeling.

I'm definitely different than you then, I would rather code a desktop application for all of the functions it can do that are useful. Games are just entertainment, but I don't get as much out of coding it.
(04-19-2011, 11:21 AM)Infinity Wrote: [ -> ]I'm definitely different than you then, I would rather code a desktop application for all of the functions it can do that are useful. Games are just entertainment, but I don't get as much out of coding it.

Yeh I understand what you're saying, but you get to a point where you run out of things to code for desktop applications. The MD5 hash comparing tool was great, but I really don't see myself using it that often, and I'll probably end up storing the code in a text file, and deleting the project. The only tool I can remember that I've coded which I've found useful on a regular basis was my MSN tool called MessLite. Putting its malicious features to one side, it had a lot of really useful and interesting legit features. It got to a point where I couldn't not use it whilst on MSN. It was like having a separate control panel which I made myself. I got a real buzz out of coding that application, but I've never felt the same with any other projects.

There's something about coding a game, and playing it to test it out which really attracts me. Maybe it's because I'm an animator, I like seeing things come to life. Smile
I could create this in 5 -10mins in lingo. Tongue
(04-19-2011, 11:21 AM)Infinity Wrote: [ -> ]I'm definitely different than you then, I would rather code a desktop application for all of the functions it can do that are useful. Games are just entertainment, but I don't get as much out of coding it.

I have to agree with Infinity on this one. I find it much more motivating to create an application than a game. I'm still going to attempt this but I have a feeling it won't be pretty. I wasn't born with many artistic/creative abilities so this shall be interesting.
(04-19-2011, 01:07 PM)Untouch Wrote: [ -> ]I could create this in 5 -10mins in lingo. Tongue

Create something then lol, I haven't seen any submissions from you on any of the coding challenges yet..
Pages: 1 2 3