Support Forums

Full Version: Sick, Need Suggestions (Food, Drinks)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey guys, I'm really sick and have been for the last 4(?) days... symptoms are: Fever (once yesterday), cold-sweats (I think because it was after the fever broke), sore throat, hoarse talking, and shivering.

I think it's just a bad case of the cold, but I've tried several suggestions (Salt water gargling (eew x(), chicken noodle soup, helped only temporarily. I take sore throat lozenges, they help for a small while.

Any suggestions on what I can eat or drink?

Note: I am 19, but am allowed to have small quantities of alcohol inside my house. One of my friends mentioned to me a drink (part honey, part rum (or whiskey), and one other thing (can't remember).

So if anyone knows that third ingredient also let me know. Thanks for the help people Smile
Milk shakes and smoothies with a whey isolate in it could very well do the trick and ensure you get protein so you don't waste away.

The thrid ingredient could be chamomile tea, not sure though.
(04-13-2011, 12:12 PM)Swat Runs Train Wrote: [ -> ]Milk shakes and smoothies with a whey isolate in it could very well do the trick and ensure you get protein so you don't waste away.

The thrid ingredient could be chamomile tea, not sure though.

Alright thanks, will any tea work? I can't really go to the store, and my family members are away at school and work.

I was told milk products would make it worse? More pleghm and I think drowsiness? But I see how the protein could help.
Drink a bottle of vodka with honey in it ;)
(04-13-2011, 12:14 PM)Veryx Wrote: [ -> ]Alright thanks, will any tea work? I can't really go to the store, and my family members are away at school and work.

I was told milk products would make it worse? More pleghm and I think drowsiness? But I see how the protein could help.

I'm sure any tea will do the trick.

I doubt milk products will make it worse and even if that were true you need to eat something substantial, chicken noodle soup and the like will not do.

Maybe a chili or similar hearty yet fairly soft dish would do the trick, not like it involves a lot of chewing or anything, just don't go too heavy on the chili powder and it should be fine.

Are you taking any cold medicine or the like?
Lots of OJ, acacia fruit, anything with antioxidants really. Cleansing your system is nice.

Feel better! Big Grin
(04-13-2011, 01:48 PM)Swat Runs Train Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure any tea will do the trick.

I doubt milk products will make it worse and even if that were true you need to eat something substantial, chicken noodle soup and the like will not do.

Maybe a chili or similar hearty yet fairly soft dish would do the trick, not like it involves a lot of chewing or anything, just don't go too heavy on the chili powder and it should be fine.

Are you taking any cold medicine or the like?

I am not taking any cold medicines. I can't really afford to see the doctor with minor stuff, what are some good OTC? I know of Emergen-C and stuff but I don't think those are actual medicines just vitamin supplements... I live in California, dunno if that helps with knowing any here. Some are banned in Cali for high doses of a certain chemical.
(04-13-2011, 03:17 PM)Veryx Wrote: [ -> ]I am not taking any cold medicines. I can't really afford to see the doctor with minor stuff, what are some good OTC? I know of Emergen-C and stuff but I don't think those are actual medicines just vitamin supplements... I live in California, dunno if that helps with knowing any here. Some are banned in Cali for high doses of a certain chemical.

Extra strength robitussin usually does it for me, I try to avoid taking medication but sometimes it's just unbearable without it.

Sucks you live in the USA, doctors visits are free here in Canada.
(04-13-2011, 03:20 PM)Swat Runs Train Wrote: [ -> ]Extra strength robitussin usually does it for me, I try to avoid taking medication but sometimes it's just unbearable without it.

Sucks you live in the USA, doctors visits are free here in Canada.

Visits I think are free, prescriptions and crap cost money and my insurance does nothing Sad
I take 1000mg of vitamin C 3 times a day, the all day defence is great. Lots of lemon too. A teaspoon of honey straight soothes the sore throat. Natural germ killers are apple cider vinegar and salt, if you gargle with water that should get some into your body. Echinacea also works for me.

If you have a fever again, take paracetamol (panadol) and it can be dangerous having a fever and letting it run. Most nurses and pharmacists that I know take a paracetemol and go to bed when they have the flu, even when they don;t have a fever.

Lots of sleep and water is also important to help your body recover and to flush it out of your system. I also grab the sports energy drinks because they hydrate me quickly.

Get better soon.
Pages: 1 2 3