Support Forums

Full Version: how to make a files unrecoverable?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i have a customer who wants her hard drive to not be recoverable is there some program that i can ether boot into or just plug into a computer and have it run and not even the FBI and recover files the timing on how long it takes doesn't mater

i could do write zeros but I have heard you can still recover files if you run it once or twice

any ideas or suggestions would be helpful
Id suggest Darik's Boot And Nuke.

But still no guarantee. Nothing beats physically destroying the hard drive.
thx and i know physically destroyint it is the best way but i might want to reuse the hard drive but need to be sureest i can besides destroying
The average law enforcement agency can recover data after 7 complete wipe/reformats. No amount of data destroyer is going to change that. That's the average agency.
(10-19-2009, 02:14 PM)Grizzly Wrote: [ -> ]The average law enforcement agency can recover data after 7 complete wipe/reformats. No amount of data destroyer is going to change that. That's the average agency.

Really I didn't know that. Thanks Grizzly Smile
I thought data could be erased? By repartitioning to reset 0 and then placing data over the top?
So for example delete all partitions make 1 then format. Then delete partition again and recreate and format then fill drive with whatever and then format??
(10-19-2009, 04:06 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]I thought data could be erased? By repartitioning to reset 0 and then placing data over the top?
So for example delete all partitions make 1 then format. Then delete partition again and recreate and format then fill drive with whatever and then format??

The data that was there before still has a faint footprint which can still be used.
Short of a large magnet there really is no way besides destroying the hard drive to make a hard drive not able to be read.

(10-19-2009, 04:06 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]I thought data could be erased? By repartitioning to reset 0 and then placing data over the top?

That is what I was talking about by a complete wipe/reformat lol. The NSA has the tech to really get into the HD if the FBI wanted what was on your computer bad enough.
Seems the simple answer (because of how cheap you can get HD storage for these days)
is to take a Phillips screwdriver and a hammer to the thing. Destroy the platters for good, once and for all.
Recover that!

I never donate, reuse or give hard drives away to anyone, I destroy them period.

End of Line......
Try this thread by Omni on how to destroy files.
Pages: 1 2