Support Forums

Full Version: Got a court summons.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I wont go into too much detail but when I was 16 or 17 i got busted for torrenting. And they confiscated all my computer crap any discs and I mean ANY and usb externals etc. SO lets fast forward I am now 21 and just got the court summons in the mail today for that charge thankfully they aren't charging me seperately for everything but just once. Although the maximum is 5 years and 5,000. One or the other or both. Honestly I don't want to go to jail (who does anyways?) and I have no where near the 5,000 it would take to pay the fine. My only hope is for house arrest.
(04-05-2011, 12:02 PM)XxX-Sniper-XxX Wrote: [ -> ]Well I wont go into too much detail but when I was 16 or 17 i got busted for torrenting. And they confiscated all my computer crap any discs and I mean ANY and usb externals etc. SO lets fast forward I am now 21 and just got the court summons in the mail today for that charge thankfully they aren't charging me seperately for everything but just once. Although the maximum is 5 years and 5,000. One or the other or both. Honestly I don't want to go to jail (who does anyways?) and I have no where near the 5,000 it would take to pay the fine. My only hope is for house arrest.

How are you being charged now? I realize theft is a felony but you still shouldn't be charged as an adult if it occurred when you were 16.

The statute of limitations on a misdemeanor charge such as that is like 2 years, I highly doubt they can summon you. What country are you in?
Your sentence will depend mostly on your previous offences, and the amount of evidence they have against you.
You won't get the maximum sentence unless you've had a whole string of similar offences in the past.
If it is your first offence, you'll most likely get a small fine, or even just a slap on the wrist, again depending on the evidence they have.
You definitely won't go to jail if this is your first offence, unless of course you downloaded say hundreds of thousands of pounds/dollars worth of stuff, or if the judge wants to make an example of you.
I'm in the U.S. and S.R.T. I guess they can summon me because I got the papers in the mail today. I hope the judge won't make an example out of me plus I can't even afford a lawyer so I will go to my first appearance state that fact and probably get 30 to 60 days while I get a public defender.
(04-05-2011, 12:13 PM)XxX-Sniper-XxX Wrote: [ -> ]I'm in the U.S. and S.R.T. I guess they can summon me because I got the papers in the mail today. I hope the judge won't make an example out of me plus I can't even afford a lawyer so I will go to my first appearance state that fact and probably get 30 to 60 days while I get a public defender.

Just check and make sure, it wouldn't be the first time the legal system has tried to screw someone over, court systems make tons of mistakes and the slightest techincality can let you walk away a free man, cover all your bases.
Was it worth it then to steal music and movies?
It's very sad to hear some of our own people here at getting busted for torrenting when millions, maybe a billion people do it. I wish you good luck and I hope you get to solve all your problems.
(04-05-2011, 01:34 PM)Omniscient Wrote: [ -> ]Was it worth it then to steal music and movies?

I guess so. I'll know when I go to court talked to a public defender today he said he might not be the one on my case but since its first offense and I haven't got caught downloading anything after that he said it's possibly just a fine and parole or house arrest. As long as I admit that what I did was wrong and I obviously haven't downloaded anything after that except for Linux distro's.
Well just to say you wouldn't be charged with torrenting as thats not illegal, but instead of pirating.
Pages: 1 2