Support Forums

Full Version: A good tutorial for managing a server/VPS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am looking to get a VPS, more for educational purposes than anything but i'll probably also host some of my sites there. I have read books on Linux server administration but they are not really specific to web servers so if someone can recommend a tutorial somewhere on setting up and managing a VPS that would be great.
http://www.howtoforge.com/

They have tutorials (usually prefixed with 'The Perfect Server') which teach you to set up a *AMP on pretty much every platform under the sun.
One thin I'd recommend, just getting a manged server if you're going to host sites on it. That way in case you screw something up, someone that has the knowledge is there to fix it.

When I first learned server management, I purchased a managed one. Then, if something happened I couldn't find out/figure out how to fix, or time was too crucial and it kept me from doing my own research on the issue, I would submit a ticket to my host to get it fixed, and ask them to document the steps they took to fix it in the ticket for me so I wouldn't have to waste their time later on when an issue arose.

Not so much an answer to your specific question, but, just some general advice for someone just learning.

If you have an unmanaged server/VPS you are looking at anywhere between $40-$100/hour average for ANYTHING you ask the host to do.
Yeah, my issue though is firstly, managed servers in Australia are expensive and I want an Australian server to improve speed over my current host. I would probably also have a separate mirror of my site anyway on shared hosting so it doesn't matter if the site goes down, i'll just switch to that. The site is only my portfolio so its nothing major anyway.

I am tossing up between a fully managed in the US or an unmanaged in Australia, both with 512 ram so yeah, I might just go with the US hosting until I get my feet.
Im looking at getting one myself and there not too expensive. Im also from Aus.
Small world DAMINK™, the VPS I am looking at is from Crazy Domains and I didn't realize they did VPS until I saw your post lol
Who is your target audience for your site? If it's aussies then stick with an aussie host. If it's worldwide go ahead and get the US one.
I am an Australian freelance web designer so my audience is like 90% Australian.
To be honest, for big projects like the OP's, I'd go with building your own server and use that. That way you have on-the-fly fixing and you don't have to deal with contacting a host every time a problem arrises. I also would think of getting the person managing it network+ certified and possibly A+ certified. It takes some times but it isn't that hard (Working on it right now in sophomore year of high school, lol.)
Isn't A+ Windows; I've never done much research on the subject but that's what I've heard.

There are a lot of *AMP specific tutorials out there.
Pages: 1 2 3