Support Forums

Full Version: Help me dual boot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well hello everybody,
I recently decided I was going to dual boot Mint and windows. So I mint on my usb and I can boot from it, but when I go to install it there is no place to put it. But I have 40 unallocated gigs. And in Mint I see this 40 gigs but it says unusable. So this is when my partitions look like right now.
I'm pretty sure it's not a partition yet, just unallocated space like it says. Right click on it and see if you have an option to make it a new partition. Then in mint you should be able to install it.
(04-02-2011, 04:35 PM)Nemmyy Wrote: [ -> ]I'm pretty sure it's not a partition yet, just unallocated space like it says. Right click on it and see if you have an option to make it a new partition. Then in mint you should be able to install it.

The choices I get are, make it a simple volume and properties.
(04-02-2011, 04:39 PM)RDCA Wrote: [ -> ]The choices I get are, make it a simple volume and properties.

Make it a simple volume
(04-02-2011, 04:58 PM)Nemmyy Wrote: [ -> ]Make it a simple volume
Well I think I just figured it out on my own. But I tried that last time I made something a simple volume it screwed up my computer.
Linux Mint install should make a partition for you though, with it's own filesystem. Ext 4 is what I use. You use that unallocated space to create partitions for the boot, swap, etc..
Well I think I fudged up. I can boot into Mint but not windows. I get an error about the file system.
Do you guys think I should just re-install windows over everything?

EDIT://
haha Im so happy right now. I fixed everything, now I can dual boot Linux and windows and I didn't lose any files.
(04-02-2011, 06:24 PM)RDCA Wrote: [ -> ]Well I think I fudged up. I can boot into Mint but not windows. I get an error about the file system.
Do you guys think I should just re-install windows over everything?

EDIT://
haha Im so happy right now. I fixed everything, now I can dual boot Linux and windows and I didn't lose any files.

Good, you still have the 40GB partitioned for the entire linux system? And you did set the file system to ext 4? Let me know how Linux Mint goes for you Smile

I have Linux Mint 10 dual booted with my Windows OS as well. I can help you out with a lot of the basics if you are a beginner in Linux, but if you need any more advanced help you can probably go to Solidus on the forum here.
(04-02-2011, 07:15 PM)Infinity Wrote: [ -> ]Good, you still have the 40GB partitioned for the entire linux system? And you did set the file system to ext 4? Let me know how Linux Mint goes for you Smile

I have Linux Mint 10 dual booted with my Windows OS as well. I can help you out with a lot of the basics if you are a beginner in Linux, but if you need any more advanced help you can probably go to Solidus on the forum here.
yea actually I am a beginner on Linux, any basic things I should now about this?
(04-02-2011, 07:18 PM)RDCA Wrote: [ -> ]yea actually I am a beginner on Linux, any basic things I should now about this?

1) You don't need an AV, you may use a file scanner though to check any files that you suspect are not safe, but there's hardly a chance of you getting a virus.

2) Try fooling around with the customization of your Linux themes just for some extra fun. You can download Conky from your package manager in your menu and learn about editing the conky.conf to change it's appearance.

3) Learn about workspaces, and your terminal (Very important)

4) You can download Docky if you want that fancy bar at the bottom with your apps like most people have from your software manager. I removed it though since I found it to be a bit slow, and I use the main panel now that came as a default.

5) Customize your visual effects from your control panel to what you would like. I turned 90% of my visual effects off.

6) *Learn how to access the command line with the shortcut ( Ctrl + Alt + F2 ) and how to get out of the command terminal and get back to X using ( Ctrl + Alt + F7 )

Not much else I can say off the top of my head, but that's what helped me get started anyway.

Here is my Linux Mint 10 Desktop:

I really enjoyed that desktop wallpaper that I found in the other thread, so i'm using it lol. I like abstract like this with lots of color.